Q. My brother has persistent fever and cough with a negative corona test. Please help.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

I have a question regarding my brother. He is sick and done some lab tests, also the corona test, but it is negative. Still, he has a severe fever and extreme cough on and off for almost 10 days. He also has diabetes.

I have attached the prescription. Please help.

#

Please note that the lab reports sent by you are indicative of probable COVID-19 infection (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The corona reports done by you are those of covid antibodies. Antibodies may or may not be positive. This report is insignificant in the given scenario. The main report is that of COVID-19 PCR.

The medications being given to you are to the best of my knowledge. However, I would like to make the following additions:

1. Tablet Combiflam (Ibuprofen + Paracetamol) to be given thrice a day for fever control.

2. Tablet Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) one tablet twice a day (half an hour before food).

3. Steam inhalation.

4. Nebulization with Duolin + Budecort as needed.

5. Remdesivir may be added if the COVID-19 PCR is positive.

6. O2 support (if saturation starts to fall below 93%).

7. BiPAP support if difficulty in breathing.

During all of the above, the sugar and blood pressure should be maintained using appropriate modifications to the medications being taken previously for the same (this will be monitored and altered as per the hospital's observations).

It is also very important that the person has adequate hydration and eat nutritious foods for faster recovery.

The overall recovery in COVID-19 infection starts on an average of 14 to 20 days. Severe cases may take up to even a month. Complete recovery has been found to take two to three months even.

You wrote it is probably COVID-19. So what are the causes of the test result being negative? If not positive, then what should we do? What are the other options for treatment? Any other suggestions?

#

Causes of negative test results are:

1. You have sent me a COVID-19 antibody report. This report shows if the body has developed the fighting power against the infection (COVID-19). It may be negative if the body has not developed a response to the infection or if there is no infection. Hence, in this case, this report is of no value. The other report (RT PCR to COVID-19) is confirmatory.

2. If it is not positive, we should still treat as COVID-19 positive (after ruling out other infections by doing blood culture, respiratory panel).

3. I have mentioned to you the other modalities of treatment. Other changes in management will be as per the above-mentioned reports. The management currently ongoing is to the best of my knowledge.

| 

In chest x-ray, what is the meaning of bilateral apical inhomogeneities?

Query: Hi doctor, I have applied for a job in abroad. I was asked to get a complete medical checkup. In the chest x-ray report, it was mentioned as bilateral apical inhomogeneities. What does it mean?  Read Full »

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?

Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Infectious Diseases Specialist Now