Q. My COVID-19 test is positive with a high fever. What medications should I take?

Dr. S D Sinha

I am 47 years old. I tested COVID-19 positive. I started mild fever before six days until yesterday I had only a mild fever 98-99 F. Since last night, my temperature has gone up to 101 and not reducing. I have not started taking any medicine until now. Which medicine should I start to take now? I do not have any other problems except mild sore throat and body ache. Please advise.

#

You must not worry, but you must take adequate precautions and necessary treatment. The precaution is trying to ensure your family members do not get infected along with you. You must isolate yourself at home and take suggested measures. However, if the condition worsens, fever non remitting, SPO2 declining and worsening of critical symptoms like breathlessness, severe loose motions, etc., you should get hospitalized.

In case you are at home, the following are the recommendations.

1. Lifestyle measures - steam inhalation, warm saline water gargles (both twice daily), drink warm water throughout the day.

Diet- high protein, balanced electrolytes.

2. Additional tests:-

A) Blood- CBC, ESR, CRP, D-Dimer levels, Serum Alanine aminotransferase (AST) and serum glutamate amino transferase (SGPT), Platelet count, INR.

B) Radiology- CT scan chest.

C) ECG-12- lead.

3. Supplements and medicines

Take tablet Vitamin C 500 mg one tablet twice daily for 15 days, Zinc 50 mg thrice daily for 15 days, Vitamin D3 60,000 IU 1 capsule once a week for six weeks, capsule Econorm (Saccharomyces Boulardi 250 mg) one capsule twice daily for seven days, capsule Relent OD (Levocetirizine 5 mg + Ambroxol 75 mg SR) one capsule once daily for 15 days, and tablet Paracetamol 650 mg one tablet thrice daily for 15 days.

After the suggested tests, please revert so that we could recommend further.

| 

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

Are cold with chest pain and fatigue symptoms of pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I have a cold with chest pain, fatigue and difficulty breathing for three days up till now, without physically consulting a doctor. I have had pneumonia last year and I am afraid that I might get again as I am starting to show some symptoms of pneumonia. Sh...  Read Full »

COVID-19 - Second Wave

Article Overview: The second wave of COVID-19 is a red flag. Read more to know about the precautionary measures. Read Article

Dr. Lochana
Infectious Diseases Specialist

Overview: COVID-19 has resulted in pathetic conditions throughout the year. We have still not found a perfect solution, but most countries were successful in declining the number of cases. There are several negative outcomes that are expected in the second wave. Many protection measures have to be c...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Infectious Diseases Specialist Now