Q. My father-in-law is COVID-19 positive, and he vomits whatever he eats. Is this a gastro problem?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My father-in-law is affected by the Coronavirus. He tested COVID-19 positive and then tested negative a week later. For the past 20 days, he is not able to eat anything. Every time he vomits what he eats even after medication provided by the government hospital along with Emiset. He got a stroke and had infections in the lungs during the active infection. As per the CT scan, he had some minor blocks in the brain. Now 15 liters of oxygen was provided to him. He has hiccups continuously. Under critical care treatment, his pulse drops slightly today. He used to go unconscious repeatedly and fell in the ward. He had ulcer complaints and kidney problems during the high salt levels, and he is under medication for five years. As per hospital, now they only can concentrate on his current health conditions. He does not even identify us sometimes. He did not sleep well for nearly eight days, even with sleeping pills and injection, and he has a headache. His sugar and blood pressure are normal. Is this a gastro problem or something serious?

#

The gastro problem is a secondary phenomenon with his current condition, not a primary cause for his symptoms. Anyone in intensive care support with lots of medications and monitoring can have significant gastric upsets, including but not limited to decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting, ulcers in the stomach, pain, and diarrhea. The Gastro symptoms are part of overall systemic illness. Once his condition gets settled, his gastro symptoms will vanish as well. I feel very sorry to hear that he has been through that difficult time. I hope he should get well soon.

Best regards.

| 

COVID-19 - How to Boost Your Immunity?

Article Overview: COVID-19 has finally made us realize the value of immunity. In individuals with a strong immune system, this fatal virus cannot result in severe infection. This is why COVID-19-related deaths are common in older adults and people with comorbidities. Read the article to know how to boost your immunity. Read Article

Dr. Ranjeet Singha, Pt
Preventive Medicine Physician

The World Health Organization (WHO) announced the COVID-19 outbreak on January 30th, 2020, and described it as a pandemic on March 11th, 2020. Currently, behavioral, non-pharmacological interventions (NPIs), such as the use of masks, self-isolation, quarantine, and even lockdown of entire territorie...  Read Article

COVID-19 and Lupus

Article Overview: Systemic lupus erythematosus is an immune disorder. Read this article to know more about the relation between COVID-19 and lupus. Read Article

Dr. Lochana
Rheumatologist

What Is COVID-19? COVID-19 or the coronavirus was discovered as a new virus in December 2019. It was first found at an animal market in Wuhan, China. It has spread around the world, traveling from the affected country to other places in the world. It has been horrifying since the lockdown period st...  Read Article

Is vomiting a cause of prominence of the vessels of sclera?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old female. I was bulimic for about a year. It happens once or twice a week. I never noticed any permanent changes in my eyes throughout my episodes. However, the last time I ever binged and purged three months ago, I vomited violently. A few weeks after this, I noticed tha...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»