Q. My fiance is COVID positive. How can I protect myself?

Dr. Prathish Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 06, 2020

I have a question. On Tuesday I went to go get tested with my fiance for COVID because we thought his dad may have had it since at his job there were so many infected. We showed no symptoms but to be safe we went. After then I have not seen him just in case. Today I got my results and I was negative but he was positive. Does that mean the virus can still get to me? I was supposed to go back to work tomorrow and I have showed no symptoms. Do I need to get tested again? Like I said since that day I have not seen him.

Dr. Prathish Kumar

#

I understand you are worried about COVID infection. You need to understand that if COVID test result shows positive, then it is sure that the person has the infection, but if the result shows negative that does not prove that the person does not have the infection. The person can still be a asymptomatic carrier of COVID. So, at present scenario with huge number of population affected and you being in close proximity with COVID positive patients, I would suggest you to repeat the test after 7 days if you do not develop any symptoms or earlier itself if you develop any symptoms.

And since your boyfriend has tested positive, you satisfy the criteria of COVID close contact. You need to isolate yourself at home for 2 weeks. And you also need to inform your health officials regarding this.

COVID close contact

| 

Dental Health During COVID-19 Lockdown

Article Overview: COVID-19 outbreak and lockdown have hit oral health in more ways than one. This article discusses dental health issues in lockdown during COVID-19 and how they can be prevented. Read Article

The world is currently suffering from the COVID-19 pandemic. There is no treatment yet available for this highly contagious infection. The only effective way that most countries have adopted is lockdown and isolation to prevent the rapid spread of the disease. Although this strategy is helping in co...  Read Article

Coronavirus: Strictly Avoid Self-Medication

Article Overview: Self-medication practices always include a certain degree of potential risk. Assuming yourself that you have a particular disease and consuming medications on your own is never safe. Read Article

Dr. Lochana
Infectious Diseases Specialist

The current Coronavirus (COVID-19) is declared as a pandemic of public health importance and many countries have been affected. The cases are increasing day by day and many countries have gone into lockdown. It is true that the whole world is affected and the cases with COVID-19 are increasing dail...  Read Article