Q. My friend is afraid that she is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. What to do?

Dr. Peter Bryant Rapsing Grutas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 26, 2021

My friend told me that she had a fever and mild cough a few days ago. She also experiences hives, sore throat, and mild inflammation on her face. Today is the 5th day, and she does not have a fever, no hive, and no inflammation anymore, and she feels better. However, she is afraid that what she experiences is a symptom of COVID-19. She said she stills feel mild itchiness in her throat. It is number 3 in a range of 1 to 10. She is isolated and eating healthy meals since she experiences the said symptoms. What is the next thing to do?

#

Thank you for reaching out.

Is your friend having a history of exposure to someone who is COVID-19 positive? Does she come from an area where there is a high number of COVID-19 positive cases? Considering the circumstances that we are in a pandemic, it is best to assume that she is a suspected COVID-19 patient. It is still best to isolate herself for two weeks. It is good that she already started isolating herself. The next thing to do is wait for 14 days until she recovers. I would recommend she continue eating healthy meals, increase oral fluid intake to 2 to 3 liters per day, take Vitamin C 500 mg tablet and Zinc tablet, and help improve her immune system. If she has symptoms of difficulty breathing, persistent fever, or cough, further consultation is advised. Is there anything else I can help you with?

|