Q. Kindly interpret my friend's CT scan reports for COVID-19.

Dr. C Elanchezhian

My friend is infected with COVID-19. He got his CT scan done, and I have his report from the lab. Since the information has all technical terms, I want to understand how severe his condition and case are. He will consult another doctor, who most probably will start steroids to control it from tomorrow. I am attaching the reports. Please explain.

#

CT (computed tomography) scan shows (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) a lung involvement value of 16/25 which means there are blood clots in the lung field due to COVID-19 infection. There are three lobes in the right and two lobes in the left lung. They give a score of 5 points for each lung lobe based on how much it gets affected. So the total score will be 25. Here he got 16 out of 25, which is a severe type. Also, they will start steroids like Methyl Prednisolone and Clexane (Enoxaparin Sodium) to dissolve the clot and reduce the inflammation in the lung. If oxygen saturation goes below 94 percent, they will start oxygen support too. I hope you got the information.

Thank you for the reply.

He does not have a breathing problem (till I spoke to him at night). But as you said, it is severe, I am concerned. Are these steroids best now, or can we ask for anything else from the doctor to control COVID-19 infection, along with clotting and inflammation?

#

Here steroids play the main role in controlling inflammation, so it is a must. They will also give antiviral drugs like Remdesivir injection and tablet Fabiflu (Favipiravir), and some antibiotics. To control the clot, they will provide high molecular weight Heparin- Clexane injection, with oxygen support till the saturation maintains above 95 percent without oxygen. I hope this helps you.

|