Q. Ten days after COVID-19, I have blood in my cough and bilateral atypical pneumonia. How to cure?

Dr. Jebin Abraham

I have tested positive for COVID-19 ten days back. I have had a prolonged cough, and sometimes I get traces of blood with sputum when I cough. My CT scan shows bilateral atypical pneumonia. The hospital has sent me home stating that it will get cured by itself. Could you please advise how to proceed in this condition?

#

Please relax. Can you elaborate on your blood test reports and oxygen levels, please? I hope you are improving now. We can treat COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) pneumonia at home in the resolving phase. So please mention your medicines as well. Thank you.

Thanks for the reply.

My oxygen levels range from 94 percent to 96 percent. Unfortunately, I do not have any blood test reports. I am just taking Cefixime 200 mg twice daily and cough syrup for now. Is there something I can do about this?

#

COVID-19 management depends on the health care capacity of your area. In areas with high burdens, you have to be in home care. But do not worry about it. Once you cross two weeks after infection, worsening of disease is unlikely. You shall continue antibiotics for empirical coverage of secondary infection. Since oxygen levels are good, nothing to worry about. If the amount of your blood in sputum is increasing, you should get a hospital admission. Otherwise, it is fine. I will suggest you some blood tests, CBC (complete blood count), D-dimer, PT (prothrombin time), INR (international normalized ratio). Take adequate food and plenty of water. Please take Dextromethorphan-containing syrup to stop your cough and reduce bleeding. Just relax. It will clear off soon.

|