Q. Why did I get symptoms after the second dose of Covieshield but not with the first dose?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma

I got my second dose of the Covishield vaccine four days ago. And after that, I am having fever, shivering, headache, body ache, cough, and cold. I took tablet Dolo 650 mg four times but did not get relief. I did not have any symptoms after my first dose.

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern, and I will help you with it.

Symptoms like fever, cough, headache, and body ache are common after-effects of the Covishield vaccine. Sometimes these symptoms are seen only with the second dose as it generates a more intense immune response. These symptoms can last up to 72 hours after vaccination.

Kindly follow the below-mentioned suggestions to get relief.

1) Use cold compresses to relieve fever.

2) Kindly stay hydrated and drink plenty of fluids. Fever makes you dehydrated by affecting your thirst center.

3) Drink fresh, refreshing juices and eat a protein-rich diet.

4) Try steam inhalation.

5) Take tablet Paracetamol 625 mg if fever makes you uncomfortable. Do not forget to take tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily on an empty stomach while using Paracetamol.

Take care.

|