Q. My son has black stools, threw up blood and mucus, and is in pain. What to do?

Dr. M.l.kothari

My son is in a lot of pain. He had jaundice when he was born and was not feeding due to a disorganized feeding pattern and ended up with a nasogastric tube for eight weeks. He is eight months old, has severe reflux, has an allergy to cow's milk, and I have been waiting to see a gastroenterologist in my country. I have still not been listened to. I am begging for help with him as he is just crying all the time. He has black stool. All this worsened about two weeks ago when he threw up a small amount of blood with mucus. Since then, he has been in so much pain, black stools, and he is not really willing to drink much, but drinking-wise is improving. They said he had tonsillitis, but we then went to a different hospital again the next day, where they confirmed he does not have tonsillitis, but his throat is burnt. No one has taken or asked for stool samples. He is in agony, and please help. We have tried Omeprazole which did not work and left him in even more pain (tried for six weeks in total). Lansoprazole had no effect for four weeks, and a thickener called infant Gaviscon (for two months) did not work. He has been on Carobel (another thickener) since he was 18 weeks old, and it stopped working when he was around six months old. We are struggling so bad.

#

Your son is 8 months old. According to me, stop milk from 8 AM to 8 PM and give a semi-solid diet and from 8 PM to 8 AM give mother milk or formula milk. Cow milk is not given before one year.

Blood in stool means cow milk protein allergy (if given in any form) so stop cow milk and products. Give antispasmodic and gut antibiotics for five days.

Stop milk for four hours for 15 days and give semi-solid diet next 15 days stop milk for eight hours and give semi-solid diet lastly stop milk from 8 AM to 8 PM and give semi-solid diet.

To your knowledge, 100 ml milk gives 70 calories of energy, 100 ml juices give 55 calories of energy, and 100 gm of semi-solid diet gives 350 calories of energy.

|