Q. I am diabetic and my serum creatinine levels are higher than normal. What would be the cause?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

I am 62 years old, and I have been diabetic for the past 28 years. After having a fever for three days, I took a blood test, and my creatinine level is 1.58 mg/dL. My creatinine level was 1.21 mg/dL three months back. All the other readings are normal.

Kindly suggest your opinion.

#

I have read your concern in detail and will surely help you out.

We need to evaluate whether serum creatinine rises due to diabetes or some infection. I suggest you take the following tests.

1) KFT (kidney function test).

2) CRP(Q) (c-reactive protein) test.

3) Urine routine microscopy.

4) Spot UPCR (urine protein:creatinine ratio) test.

You can get these tests done and follow up with your local physician or me. If the rise in creatinine is due to diabetes, your diabetes control status needs to be checked, and all your diabetes medications must be modified. Also, I would like to rule out UTI (urinary tract infection) in your case, as people with diabetes commonly have UTI with increased creatinine.

Whatever it is, let me assure you that it is treatable and manageable. If it is due to infection, creatinine will return to normal after treatment. If it is due to diabetes, it is easily controllable.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|