Q. Why do I have a painless crepitus in my right neck?

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 28, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2019

The back of my right neck where the bottom of the skull is, I feel a lot of crepitus. This has been going on for a year and a half, after my face and cheeks became thick (and hard), fat, and bloated (unevenly) for some reason (only my cheeks, everywhere else, I was as thin as before) for some time (now it is back to normal since about a year).

The crepitus is painless, but it feels like my neck vertebrae and skull are grinding every movement. And whenever it is at the peak, I feel very congested and frustrated. Also, a lot of times when I look up at the ceiling, my neck in the skull base area audibly cracks (I can feel something snap), which has not happened before this. I am not sure what the problem is, kindly help.

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Physiotherapy
#

I read your concern. In my opinion, you should get a proper investigation of your upper cervical area. Crepitus could be due to any bone on bone rubbing due to improper positioning of your vertebra (improper alignment) caused due to bad posture. Do not worry if you could be sure if there are no other complicated issues associated with an MRI neck, you can do stabilization exercises and get back regularly. Kindly get an MRI neck and revert. Keep icing your neck frequently and stretch your neck muscles gently. I hope this is helpful for you for now.

MRI of which body parts will best reveal spondyloarthropathy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old male and I was diagnosed with spondyloarthropathy seven years back. I am taking only Sulfasalazine tablets daily. Currently, I do not have any pain or stiffness. My HLA-B27 report is negative. Now, if I do the following MRIs, how much chances are there...  Read Full >>

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am unable to find the attachment. It is good to know that you are doing well on Sulfasalazine only. But if you are doing well and have no symptoms with normal blood tests, I will not recommend MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to be repeated. The MRI is only ...  Read Full

Everything You Need to Know About Osteoarthritis

Article Overview: Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease, which is always characterized by both, the degeneration of articular cartilage and simultaneous proliferation of new bones, cartilage, and connective tissue. It is not a single disease rather it is the result of various joint failure Read Article

Dr. Sheshadev Senapati

Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease, which is always characterized by both, the degeneration of articular cartilage and simultaneous proliferation of new bones, cartilage, and connective tissue. It is not a single disease rather it is the result of various joint failure. The proliferative...  Read Article

MRI shows 'intermediate signal intensity lesion in endometrial cavity.' What is it?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother aged 55 years got an MRI with an observation of 'intermediate signal intensity lesion noted in the endometrial cavity measuring 19x28x24, in the fundal body region with loss of endometrial interface. Tethering of sigmoid colon with distal ileal loops to the uterus in fundus re...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With this report, there is a possibility of malignancy. Cancer of the uterus is more likely. Do CA 125 level, CT scan abdomen and pelvis, X-ray, sonography, PET scan and consult a gynecologist near you and also take an opinion from an oncosurgeon. Doctors will do o...  Read Full

Ask a Physiotherapist Now