Q. Can a person with Crohn's disease, constipation, and abdomen pain develop colon cancer?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

I am a 24-year-old female, and my height is 5'5 feet. I have Crohn's disease for two and half years. Recently I have been suffering from a constipation problem and pain on the right side of my abdomen. I had a CT scan of my abdomen six months back. The report was normal. However, I am worried about colon cancer.

#

I feel sorry to hear that you have got this disease, but fortunately, at your age, the risk of colon cancer is rather low in patients with Crohn's disease. On the contrary, the risk of colon cancer is relatively very high in patients with ulcerative colitis for ten years, and seven to eight percent increased risk in 15 years.

Crohn's disease has comparatively less risk of causing colon cancer as only 1.2 % of patients with Crohn's disease over the two decades have developed colon cancer. Maybe the individuals diagnosed with Crohn's disease at old age will have a higher cancer risk. Crohn's disease is more severe and has a poor prognosis in persons less than ten years old or more than 40 years old.

I would suggest you for a colonoscopy after eight years of the onset of Crohn's disease and later continue the same every once in three years. For your case, the first surveillance colonoscopy should be performed in 2027.

|