Csf Leak

When will the headache due to CSF leakage subside?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife went to a routine check MRI on the spine and found a lesion 14 x 12 mm, intraspinal intradural focal lesion opposite L2 vertebral body with intense post-contrast enhancement suggestive of a neurogenic tumor. Doctors advised surgery, so we did surgery last week. After surger...  Read Full »

Dr. Chirag Solanki

General Surgeon, Neuro Surgeon, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is the usual plan in such type of cases. Headache is due to a leak of CSF (cerebrospinal fluid), causing low pressure in the head. The leak of CSF is a well-known risk factor associated with any intradural spinal surgery, so the doctor is not at fault. Once ...  Read Full »

Can CSF leak cause opening pressure in sphenoid?

Query: Can someone interpret the two please? I am having pressure and metallic drainage after the second image could this be a CSF leak? Also why does my pituitary look lifted/ detached? One is taken before a month and it shows my pituitary enlarged but looking intact, before I had a blood patch done. The...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Patil

Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Sorry for the pain you are going through. 1)to find out CSF leak, investigation in cases like you is CT-cisternogram. ( spontaneous CSF leak has been reported in patients). 2) you can sit in forward stupping ( bending forward) position, collect some fluid and send it for beta-transferin test (...  Read Full »

How common is CSF leak after shunt surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, My sister-in-law have surgery shunt in brain for hydrocephalus conditon before two weeks and she was unconcious. But now they suggest surgery for CSF leak. We are very confused what should we do? Is it possible to have CSF leak after shunt surgery? Kindly revert soon.  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Patil

Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel sorry for all the pain your sister in law is going through. Hydrocephalus is a difficult problem to treat. The complication which are seen your sister in law case are very common in these type of patients. I would suggest you to follow your doctors (neurosu...  Read Full »

I noticed blood in my dad's nose after a fall. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My dad met with a fall in the bathroom today and bled from the right side of his nose. The bleeding stopped after 2 minutes, but I noticed that the nose contains a few drops of blood. I took him to the ER and had an x-ray. But, my doctor advised us to go home and have a review after a wee...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the x-ray that you shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I cannot make out any nasal bone fracture. The bleeding is due to injury to the nose. If there is no active bleeding and no fracture detectable in the x-ray, then we manage the same conser...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to take CT abdomen after SPECT scan?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had a SPECT scan to evaluate a possible CSF leak. The scan was done with a dye injected into the spine. My brain was scanned and also the abdomen. The scan did not pick-up any abnormalities and a leak was not seen. I was informed today that I may need to have a CT scan of...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Shoyab

Interventional Radiologist, Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I cannot but appreciate what you call your "curiosity". I would rather call it your awareness and consciousness. One should indeed think twice before going through a radiation exposure for a second time. If I say in one word, the CT scan your doctor has recommended i...  Read Full »

Is there a potential for CSF leakage after sinus surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I had sinus surgery about four months ago, to correct a severely deviated septum and to reduce the turbinates on both sides. I also had surgery previously on my face to reconstruct an impacted orbital bone and maxillary sinus on the left side of my face. Following the surgery, on my s...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With a septal correction and turbinate reduction surgery the chances of causing a CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leak as complications are remote because CSF leak occurs when you disrupt the skull base and in the surgeries you mentioned we do not touch the skull base. How...  Read Full »

I notice clear drainage from my nose after FESS. Is it due to chronic rhinitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a FESS done before five months. Shortly after I noticed clear drainage from my nose. I had a pledget study done that confirm a bilateral CSF leak. Five weeks ago, I had sx to repair it, however in sx under intrathecal fluorescein, and the surgeon could not locate the leak. Nose ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prasun Mishra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. CSF rhinorrhea is a known complication of extensive FESS (functional endoscopic sinus surgery). If a pledget had shown confirmed CSK leak, it sure needs to be investigated. Small leaks heal and recover by themselves however, if the leak persists longer, then it needs...  Read Full »

I think few images from my recent scan have not been looked at. Can you have a look?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been struggling for approximately two years with symptoms such as pulsatile tinnitus, dizziness, vertigo, orthostatic headaches and general fatigue. I had an MRI that showed empty Sella with some herniation of CSF into the pituitary gland area. I have a set of images from a CT ...  Read Full »

Dr. Chitrangada

Radiodiagnosis Physician, Radiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The MRI findings are suggestive of benign intracranial hypertension and these also correlate well with your symptoms. In the scan provided, no obvious defect is seen in either of the cribriform plates. The CT angiogram is within normal limits. But still, if you ha...  Read Full »

Why am I having clear liquid from nose on tilting my head?

Query: Hello doctor, I tilt my head or bend over and I have a clear liquid that comes out my nose. I get dizzy if I bend down and get up. I have major headaches a lot lately, and I am scared.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.cim. Collect the liquid in a clean container. Sit upright for an hour and then bend down, so that the liquid accumulates and comes down. Collect that. Send the liquid for beta 2 transferrin examination, and sugar estimation. Take a drop of liquid and put it on a handk...  Read Full »

I had surgeries for cauda equina syndrome. Can you decode the surgery notes?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had two spinal surgeries for cauda equina syndrome. I was told that the second surgery was required due to a dural tear. However, on reading my clinical notes, I now question this. I have the operation notes, which I can send (about a paragraph each) if you have a spinal sur...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. Can you please elaborate what your question is?  Read Full »