Q. How to treat my cystic acne which aggravates during menstruation?

Dr. G.s.s. Sandeep

I have cystic acne, and it is triggered mostly on my chin, cheeks, lips, and jawline. It is most aggravating during my menstruation. I have scars now and discoloration on my skin because of it. They hurt a lot, and they get infected easily. My acne started to get worse once I got off my birth control two years ago. I take Vitamin C serum in the mornings. I use a Cerave foaming facial cleanser and a spot treatment which is 10 % benzoyl peroxide.

#

I have seen your picture (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity).

1. It is nodulocystic acne (grade 3) on the chin.

2. Treatment of choice is oral retinoids - Accutane (Isotretinoin) after complete and proper evaluation. Duration of Accutane depends on individual weight. It needs to be taken under dermatologist supervision only. It is a very safe and approved mode of treatment for grade 3 acne.

3. Prevention is better than cure for post-acne scars. I suggest using Transexamic acid gel from any brand as a spot application for spots. I suggest benzoyl peroxide gel 2.5 % as a spot application for existing acne.

4. Avoid milk products at bedtime.

Thank you for the reply.

Is there a way I can get a prescription for Accutane?

#

Accutane is prescribed medication.

It carries a few side effects like any other medication.

It is advisable to approach a local dermatologist in case of any complications. You will be on the safe side.

|