Q. Is Retino-A effective for cystic acne scar?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
Published on Feb 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I suffered from cystic acne. I used Clindamycin and Epiduo gel. It cleared my acne, but left black and red marks. I have attached the pictures. Which type of scar is this? Is there any topical cream to remove the marks? Is a chemical peel or Retino A effective for this? I also have some holes in my face. Suggest me some treatment.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have read your query in detail and do understand your concern. I have also viewed the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• These are ice pick and boxcar scars (the big ones) of acne.
  • Treatment for the small ice pick (hole-like) scars may be started with 50% to 100% TCA CROSS (Trichloroacetic acid), which involves application of a chemical to these scars by your dermatologist.
  • This method is relatively cheaper, but there is a downtime of about two to four weeks with this method as post procedure spots will be visible.
  • Dermabrasion can also be done, but not much in use now. Chemical peels will not work for this type of scars.
  • Retino-A will not be much effective. At the most, you will be able to see 5-10% improvement over small ice pick scars with Retino-A (Tretinoin).

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Which medicine should I take for patchy beard?

Query: Hi doctor, Actually, my skin tone is medium and is very oily. I want to have a white and fair skin tone. I also want to get rid of this oily skin. I have been taking Omega 3 capsules for two months as someone told me that it will help me for my skin, but I did not notice any changes. Now, one of my ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for pus filled acne?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having acne on my cheeks for the past one month. I have red and pus filled acne. Redness is more in the cheeks area. I used Clindamycin gel and the pimple size reduced. But, pimples did not go away and also spreading nearby. I have used Benzoyl peroxide too, but no improvement. I ...  Read Full »

Why is there no improvement in my cystic acne scars, even after three laser sessions?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a student, and I have huge cystic acne scars on my nose. I am getting laser sessions for the same, in a local clinic. But, even after three sessions, my skin shows no difference. Those marks look raised and terrible. Should I discontinue the treatment as it is extremely expensive fo...  Read Full »