Q. I masturbated soon after D and C. Did I hurt my healing?

Published on Jan 22, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had D and C four days ago. On the day of D and C, I was so stressed out and masturbated after (twice without penetration). I got cramp in each orgasm but no bleeding. I had mild discomfort after. Did I hurt my healing? I have had minimal cramping and no bleeding since my D and C. The cramps are a little worse than period cramps. During periods, I usually get back cramps. With D and C, I have had lower back and lower abdominal cramping. There was no bleeding for the most part. I am so scared that I will not be able to have a baby or that I might have caused some scarring. They told me no sex meaning penetration. I did not and did not know if masturbation with no penetration was included in that. I am just scared this will lead to infertility. My doctor said the surgery went well with no issues, but I am so scared that I will not be able to have kids now.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing? Just relax, you are absolutely fine.

Let me give you few facts. Just look up the image of the uterus. D and C is done on the interior of the uterus. The contents of the uterus and inner lining of the uterus are scrapped out. Your no bleeding, only means that doctor has efficiently removed all contents and not left anything back. Had she left something back, you would have been having to spot and bleeding on and off, needing another D and C. Minimal bleeding or spotting is normal.

So the doctor advised you not to have sex, as following the procedure the inner uterine lining is raw and exposure to semen, an infected fluid, can cause more pain and adhesions.

Masturbation is fine. Cramps are expected as the uterus is trying to expel any tiny blood clots or leftovers, as occur during periods. This D and C, and masturbation are not going to affect your pregnancy chances.

The only factor that will influence your fertility potential is your weight. Your expected body weight is 52 to 57 kg. More the weight more is the chances for no ovulation and irregular periods. Thereby lesser pregnancy chance.

Hope I have clarified your query, do write back if any more queries. All the best.

For more information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

Why does my penis go flaccid right before ejaculation?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a minor bike accident four years back. A couple of days later, I realized that I was not getting erections. I consulted a urologist and was diagnosed with ED and was administered medicine (in sachets) to be emptied into a glass of water and consumed. That brought back interest in...  Read Full »

Will fibroid affect fertility?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old married female. I have retention cyst and seedling fibroid. I have this for the past eight months. Can you please let me know if there will be a problem in having a baby? Is this a pcod cyst? Is any treatment required? Or will it go off without treatment? Please clear...  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now