Q. Can I get vaccinated for COVID when my D-dimer levels are high?

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I am 51 years old. A month ago, I had a bone graft membrane implant on my jaw, and I am recovering. I was planning to get vaccinated for COVID-19, and I had some blood tests done before the vaccination. My D-dimer is 5000. Should I be very alarmed? Can it be a result of a post-surgery?

#

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you had a history of bone graft membrane implant on your jaw. You have done some blood tests, and your D-dimer has shown 5000 ng/mL, and that is very high. Elevated D-dimer usually may indicate blood clot formation and breakdown. So, it can be elevated in thromboembolic diseases like pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis, DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation), leukemia, cancer, sepsis, etc. D-dimer also can be elevated other than thromboembolic diseases like stress, any type of inflammation, history of recent surgery. Following surgery, D-dimer is commonly greater than 1000 microgram/liter, which may last for 60 days. As you had a history of operation one month ago, so your elevated D-dimer level may last for one more month or two months in total, and that is quite common. So, do not be worried at all. You can do a repeat D-dimer test after one month, and hopefully, your D-dimer level will come back to the normal level.

Take care.

In case of any other query, ask me.

|