Q. I am suffering from dandruff even after having medicated shampoos. Why?

Dr. Payal Chauhan
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jul 25, 2019

I have severe powdery dandruff for the past two years, I tried a lot of natural remedies, but nothing worked. I cannot figure out my scalp is dry or oily dandruff. Last month I went to a dermatologist, and he prescribed

1. Dankare plus scalp solution.

2. Sermon capsules.

I have been using them for three weeks, and my scalp remains the same. I use the shampoo three times a week. Still, I get dandruff I do not wash the next day. Kindly let me know what to do should I continue this medication. Should I follow some routine like oiling etc.? Should I change the shampoo or frequency?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Dermatology Venereology
#

The condition you are having might be seborrhoeic dermatitis. As there are no clinical images of the scalp, I cannot say conclusively. Clinical examination is required to confirm the diagnosis. If it is seborrhoeic dermatitis, you must understand that it is a chronic problem. It can be controlled with lotions and shampoo but not cured.

You can use the following medicines for relief.

1. Diprobate plus lotion (Betamethasone, zinc sulfate) apply at night on scalp leave overnight wash next day with shampoo given.

2. Keraglo AD shampoo thrice a week apply on scalp leave for 10 minutes and wash off.

Avoid application of hair oil.

Related Video

How do I control dandruff and hair fall?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having problem with dandruff. My scalp is oily. I am losing hair and I feel that I will become bald. I used Candid-TV, but it did not help. Please advice.  Read Full »

I have a rash on my face that has come back more aggressive than before. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old and suffering from a rash on my face. The first breakout was around five weeks ago. I noticed a red spot above my left eyebrow after hearing a stressful news and eventually it spread to my chin and above my lip. I was at the beach and after around three days, the ra...  Read Full »

I have dandruff, hair fall, and white tiny itchy balls on my scalp. Please advice.

Query: Hello doctor,I have dandruff, hair fall, and lately, I saw tiny white balls on my scalp after which my scalp became very itchy. Please tell me how to treat this condition.  Read Full »