Q. My son wants to quit marijuana but is scared of pain during detox. Please help.

Dr. Guruvamsee Krishna Avvaru
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My son is voluntarily taking drugs and Marijuana (Cannabis) for the past one year. He wants to leave but have a fear of pain during detox. How should his fiancee and I help or convince him to go for medication? How to treat him emotionally? He wants to leave, and even after taking, he says that he has not taken and later accepts it. I do not know which drug he takes. His father and his brother are also addicted to marijuana.

#

If your son is taking only marijuana, it is easy to quit, but it is difficult to stop with advice if he is taking drugs like heroin or morphine. Suppose he is addicted to heroin, it is better to admit to any de-addiction center. If your son is using only marijuana, do not fear pain and all. The treatment for marijuana detox never causes any pain. I advise, to admit your son to a de-addiction center. If you need help, contact me by telephone interview. I will guide you. He needs admission to the de-addiction center and motivational enhancement therapy because of his strong family history. I want to know the stage of motivation. Kindly contact me by telephone interview or video chat.

A strong family history.

Thank you for your reply.

He is voluntraily taking drugs. He use to give gap for about two to three months. Also he is an IT employee and about to marry so is there any alternative way like medicines apart from rehabilitation. He is currently in his hometown but his office is in another state. He is having work from home now once office reopens he will return to his work place.

#

My advice is better to admit him to a hospital for one month; I will guide you. Otherwise, I am a de-addiction specialist; if I prescribe medicine through this website, you will not get that medicine from the pharmacy.

That medicine will be available only in the de-addiction center.

As you mentioned, your son is an IT employee who can also get a relapse.

• How much quantity is he taking in a day?
  • Which route is he taking by sniffing or by injection?
  • How is his behavior?
  • How is his sleep pattern?
  • How is his mood?
  • Is he taking drugs alone or along with alcohol?

Thank you for your reply.

He uses the sniffing method and takes it without alcohol. He will be very calm without drugs, but he feels anxiety and body pain when he carves. If we admit him to the hospital, there is a chance of losing his job. Could you please suggest how I, as a mother and his fiancee, should treat him emotionally?

#

Tell me one thing, if he wants to quit the substance or substitute the substance?

What is the present situation, whether he is taking drugs or not?

If he has good motivation to quit the substance, the treatment plan is

1. Tablet Clonidine 0.1 mg twice daily.

2. Tablet Ibuprofen one tablet if needed.

3.Tablet Loperamide 2 mg If required.

4. Tablet Pregabalin and Methylcobalamin one tablet at night.

If your son wants a substitute for the drug, then the only treatment is Qudict (Buprenorphine and Naloxone) 2 mg or 0.4 mg, depending upon the drug's dosage.

| 

Kitchari Mono Diet

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a white coating on my tongue. Also, since my childhood, I have had a problem with frequent urination. I have a slightly enlarged prostate of 21.9 whereas less than 20 is normal. My skin has always been very dry. For about 1 or 2 years, I am losing hair and suffering from dan...  Read Full »

Will I get lung cancer with a 3 year history of smoking?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 17 years old and turning 16 this month. I have been smoking marijuana and cigarettes for nearly three years or maybe less. I have been feeling pressure or a bubble like feeling in my left lung. I have really bad anxiety when it comes to thinking that I have cancer. It paranoids me. I...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for alcohol and smoking addiction?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is addicted to alcohol and smoking. What treatment is recommended?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now