Q. Why am I not interested in studies?

Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen
Published on Nov 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

First time, when I was in the hostel I acted like fainting. So, they took me to the hospital and after checking BP, the doctor said it was low. The next day, I got very high fever and came home. Then after some days, I went hostel as I had kidney pain. I was brought here and had a scan. The report said that I have hydronephrosis. So, I joined as a day boarder. While studying I do not understand anything. I got zero in mathematics and I informed my mom that I cannot understand anything. My mom asked me to practice, but I am not getting interest. My exams are getting near and I do not know anything. Whenever there is an exam, I am not going college on that day. Sometimes, when I am alone, I feel something different in my body and I feel as if I am missing the past. When I see a situational scene or a song, I feel bad. I want to make my parents happy by seeing my marks. Please suggest me some ways to interest in studies.

Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen

Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

I completely understand that you are feeling a lack of interest in studies and unable to focus on your studies.

According to research, there can be various reasons behind the lack of interest in studies and low concentration.
1. It can be due to learning difficulties in children.
2. It can be due to negative past experiences such as having failures, something negative related to study environment or teachers or fellows or due to any other academics related factors.
3. There might be psychological causes behind your lack of interest, avoiding exams and getting affected by past memories.

You need to specify your age, level of study and for how long you are experiencing these problems, both academic and emotional issues. You also need psychological assessment of the symptoms you mentioned as feeling something different in body, missing past experiences, getting emotional by watching particular scenes or listening songs.

First of all you need a complete psychological assessment by a clinical psychologist. It will include testing related to your academic problems and psychological issues like lack of interest, avoid studying, negative past experiences and unusual sensations in the body.

You will get a feedback of your assessment and then you will be better able to understand the reasons of your problem. On the basis of assessment results, your psychologist will recommend an appropriate treatment plan for your academic and emotional problems.

Here, I am advising you a relaxation exercise. You can do it before starting your study. Relaxation exercise helps to improve concentration. It also relaxes your mind and body out of stress and problems.

Do a relaxation exercise or deep breathing to calm yourself and focus. Sit in a comfortable position and close your eyes. Take a deep breath and focus on the air going in and out. Focus on your muscles from head to toe of your feet and relax every muscle. As your body gets completely relaxed, imagine something positive, watch yourself studying and enjoying the material you are reading or writing. After your necessary adjustments open your eyes. Do this exercise every day.

I appreciate you consulted for your problems at initial stage. Do get your assessment done as soon as possible. Delay in the treatment or ignoring your symptoms may increase your problems.

Revert back with answers to the above questions to a psychologist counsellor online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

I cannot go to any psychiatrists, because my parents do not know any of this issue.

Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen

Psychologist/ Counsellor
#

• At this point of life, your career and personality development is very important. Adolescents generally feel a communication gap with parents; therefore sometimes it is very difficult for them to share their problems with parents.
  • As you had mentioned that you shared with your mom about the problem and she suggested you to do more practice. This is an indication that your mother is concerned about you.
  • If you discuss with your mom that you have consulted online and got information about your problems, then she will be able to understand the nature of your problem in a better way. You can tell her that practicing mathematics has not solved your problem and you do not feel motivated to practice due to your past illness in hostel, etc.
  • Might be she would take you to doctor herself and then you can tell that you need an assessment from clinical psychologist because they assess academic problems as well as do personality assessment.
  • Generally, parents are very much concerned about career and future of their kids, even more than what their kids think of.
  • Keep in mind that sharing your problems with your parents is the best way to take steps towards the resolution because, now your parents and many others would start finding the solution and you are not alone to your problems.
  • Secondly, if you get courage to improve your communication with parents, then this will go in your benefit. Neglecting your concerns and not getting help will be destructive only for you and no one else would be bothered.
  • Now, the choice is yours if you want to take steps towards resolution or neglect it.

For further information consult a psychologist counsellor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

Are you addicted to tea/coffee? - Caffeine addiction and its implications

Article Overview: Everybody knows that coffee and tea contain caffeine. But, did you know that caffeine is present in over 60 plants species including chocolate? Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Surabhi
General Medicine Physician

Use of caffeine rich food dates back to at-least 350 A.D. when the cultivation of tea started in China. Not only tea but consumption of Coffee also dates back to about middle of 17th century. Since then there has been no looking back and consumption of both tea and coffee has increased by leaps and ...  Read Article

Adolescent Sexuality and Parents' Anxiety

Article Overview: This article stresses the fact that "emergence and display of sexuality in adolescence create conflicts in the family and society, that needs to be understood better." Read Article

Dr. Arun Kaaliannan Vangili
Psychologist Counsellor

A few days back, I met a worried gentleman in my office. His worry was about his “teenage” son, whom he suspects is “going down the wrong path.” The proof for this came when the boy got a tattoo in his arm without getting his father’s permission. My guess was that the b...  Read Article

How to cope when a sibling is seriously ill?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a brother who is sick since a month. I am feeling very helpless without him and I am deprived of sleep. I keep thinking about him the whole day. How can I overcome this situation?  Read Full »

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now