Q. I am facing mild jaundice and loose motions after bariatric surgery. Please help.

Dr. Noushif M
Published on Jun 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 47 years old, female. I have undergone bariatric surgery five months ago. Now, I am suffering from mild jaundice (total bilirubin 1.5 mg/dl) and mild typhoid too. I have been facing non stop loose motion since last two weeks. I have seen the doctor. They have prescribed me the following medicines Probinex capsule, Lornit-150, Libotryp and typhoid and jaundice medicines are also on. But, I have not got rid of my loose motion yet. Symptoms which my body is divulging are:

1. Loose motion (five to six times in a day).
  2. The color of stool is yellow (liquid).
  3. The color of urine is yellow.
  4. Cramp in the stomach.
  5. Abdomen pain (above navel).
  6. A headache.
  7. Nausea.
  8. Yellowish urine.
  9. Weakness.

What should I do now?

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

Your bilirubin level looks fine. Not so worrisome and does not require any acute measure. Regarding the loose stools, it will take time to settle. Meanwhile, you have to be very cautious to avoid dehydration and electrolyte disturbances from loose stools. Keep yourself well hydrated. Every bout of motion should make you drink water thrice the volume of stool loss or roughly 500 ml. You can have ORS packets which are the best supplements.

Add probiotic capsules (like Darolac, Vizylac or Econorm) twice daily for a week. Add some acid-suppressing tablets like Pantoprazole 40 mg tablets once daily for one week. The Probinex capsule (Ibuprofen) can be avoided. Buscopan (Butylscopolamine) or Hyocimax (Hyoscine) tablets can be used twice daily for cramps.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thank you for your gratifying answer. I would like to give you more details of my ailment so that much more clarity can be brought. The medicine which I am taking nowadays to overcome loose motions, typhoid and jaundice are:

1. Probinex, Lornit-150, Libotryp. Despite this medication, loose stools are still on since last 14 days.
  2. Before this medication, the doctor has prescribed Rifaximax 400, Oflox OZ, Emeset-4, M-flox 200 to overcome loose stools. But no benefit at all with respect to loose stools.

Medicines which I am taking after bariatric surgery prescribed by the bariatric surgeon are Pantocid, Supradyn. Tests which I have undergone nowadays are as follows:

1. Liver function test.
  2. SGOT-86 u/L, SGPT-91 u/L.
  3. Total bilirubin-1.50 mg/dL.
  4. Typhoid Widal test-positive-IgM and IgG.
  5. Sonography report shows hepatomegaly with fatty liver.

The key concern is loose stools since last 14 days despite above-mentioned medication. Weakness is prevailing in the entire body. I am scared of irritable bowel syndrome and any other severe disease. Please suggest me some tests for the clarification of my doubt. And please suggest me any medicine to slow down the rate of loose stools so that I can see the doctor as soon as possible. Because of loose stools, I will not be able to travel. Please help.

Dr. Noushif M

#

You need to start the medicines which I have suggested earlier. Nothing new to stop the bowel. It is better. Do not try medicines to stop it rather preventive measures are better. Can do stool routine and microscopy examination.

Will you please suggest some preventive measures? And please let me know if anything is precarious as far as symptoms are concerned. Can I continue the medicine which my bariatric surgeon has prescribed me along with the medicines which you have suggested me?

Dr. Noushif M

#

Nothing to worry as far as the diarrhea is concerned. Do follow the measures I have briefed earlier. Make sure the food and water you take are well cooked and hygienic. You can well continue the medicines prescribed by the bariatric surgeon.

Will do as you have directed. And will let you know the level of improvement.

Dr. Noushif M

#

Good luck.

From today onwards, I have started taking medicine which you have suggested me. My stool routine and microscopy examination have been done today. I am sending you report. Please let me know about the condition.

Dr. Noushif M

#

The report looks fine. Continue the same medicines. You will be alright.

Alright. Thank you.

Dr. Noushif M

#

You are welcome.

My sincere thanks to you. The suggested medicine has worked solidly. The frequency of my loose motion has been reduced to two times from six to seven times in a day. Stool seems almost normal by appearance. So, please suggest me further course of medication.

Dr. Noushif M

#

Happy to hear about your recovery. You can continue the same medicines for a week more as your response is good. Further, you can switch to the medicines prescribed by your bariatric surgeon. However, try to bring down the number of medicines slowly. Continue the diet measures regularly.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Alright, sir. Thank you.

Dr. Noushif M

#

Take care.

I am continuing medicines prescribed by you regarding loose stools. I had become alright but since last one week, I am facing on and off loose stools. For two days I go for 7 to 8 times in a day and for the next two days, I only go for 2 times in a day. Sometimes I gain normalcy and sometimes I gain abnormality. I have also gone for the re-test of typhoid and jaundice. Typhoid found normal. Bilirubin level is 1.6. The doctor did not recommend any medicine regarding jaundice and typhoid. He has only injected one injection regarding recovery of typhoid. Still, I am taking medicines prescribed by you. But, facing on - off loose stools. What should I do now?

Dr. Noushif M

#

I would suggest continuing Darolac and Pantoprazole for 2 weeks more. If you do not have any fever, cramps or bloody stools, you can relax. Do not get tensed unnecessarily as it may stimulate bowel movements.

Hope you are not on any antibiotics now as these can also cause diarrhea following long-term use.

What was the surgery (bariatric surgery type) you underwent? Can you give the details? The copy of your discharge summary will suffice.

Revert with the information to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I do not have any bloody stool. I feel some pain in the abdomen when I pass loose stools for more than two to three times. I will be sending you my discharge summary of bariatric surgery asap.

Dr. Noushif M

Will Adepix interfere with anesthesia during sleeve bariatric surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I suppose to get the sleeve bariatric surgery and I was taking Adepix and I stopped it a week ago. My surgeon told me he thinks I have to be off Adepix for three months before surgery. I only took it for three weeks. Is this true? He said it may interfere with anesthesia?  Read Full »

My baby often has loose stools. What medicines should I give him?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 6 months old son. He often suffers from loose stools. I do not know why it happens. My friend suggested I give Mathulai manappagu. Please share your thoughts.  Read Full »

Please advise non-surgical treatment for lumbar lordosis and disc dehydration.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a back pain which has made me stay in bed for two weeks. Now the pain has reduced but I have very limited movement, just to go to the bathroom but still, there is a pain when I want to stand up. I did the MRI test, the result was showing lumbar lordosis is decreased with scolio...  Read Full »