HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologydelayed periodMy period is delayed despite taking an I-pill after having sex with my boyfriend. Can I use abortion pills?

Can abortion pills be used for delayed periods?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At December 7, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 7, 2023

Patient's Query

I am unmarried, and my period is delayed after having sex with my boyfriend. After sex, I used I-pills, but till today, my period has not come. When I used the pregnancy kit, it showed negative results twice. Now, what can I do? Please suggest me. I take Ashokarist. My hemoglobin is 11.8 g/dL. Can I use abortion pills?

Answered by Dr. Balakrishnan R

I understand your query and concern.

After two days of periods, I-pill (Levonorgestrel) was not really needed. Ovulation usually occurs around the 12 to 16th day of the period. The life of an egg is 24 hours, and that of a sperm is 72 hours. So, there is no chance of an egg being available on that day, and sperm will not be available till the next ovulation. If the pregnancy test is negative, then how can the abortion pill cause periods or bleeding? To get periods, I suggest you have any of the birth control pills like tablets Ovral-G (Norgestrel and ethinyl estradiol) or Duoluton-L (ethinyl estradiol and Levonorgestrel), Dear 21 (ethinyl estradiol and Levonorgestrel), Novelone (ethinyl estradiol and desogestrel), or Intimacy Plus 3 (ethinyl estradiol and desogestrel). Have one tablet twice a day for ten days and throw away the 21st pill. No matter what the cause is, you will have periods within seven to ten days. I feel your periods are being missed due to your weight. From your history, I presume you have PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease). This is a congenital condition. I mean, it is a genetically programmed condition. You get it from your parents. When you suddenly put on weight, this cholesterol is converted into estrogen hormone. If I may simulate, have not you seen obese men developing breasts, and in young obese girls who develop periods at younger ages, they all have high levels of estrogen or female hormone? In your body too, when fat, which is a store for tomorrow, is more than normal, this is converted to hormone, which tips the balance between FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) from the brain and the ovarian hormone. Follicle-stimulating hormone, as the name suggests, stimulates follicles from the ovary, but once the follicle is big enough to ovulate, the FSH is suppressed by the same estrogen hormone from the ovary. But when the same estrogen hormone is coming from fat, the brain is confused, and follicle growth stops early at a smaller follicle size and will not rupture. In the next scan, you will see all these follicles as polycystic ovaries. This is usually associated with obesity, irregular cycles, no periods for a few months, and later heavy periods with clots and fleshy masses, spotting on and off, thyroid abnormality, and prolactin problems indirectly. Check these hormones. You develop that extra pad of fat around the mid-segment of the body, especially the waist, thighs, and breasts, with no fat beyond the elbow and knees, excessive body hair growth, hair fall, a dark shade over the lower half of the face, acne, oily face skin, black skin over the back of the neck, inner thighs, and under the surface of the breast. You may have a family history of diabetes, especially your father or his family. This will not allow ovulation to occur at any time. So you cannot get pregnant till treated. It also increases your chances of early pregnancy abortions. But this has a solution. Your expected weight is 114 to 125 lbs. Once you reduce weight to the normal range, you will not need any medicine to get periods or to get pregnant, and pregnancy will be healthy. To reduce weight. I suggest the following:

1. No fasting, junk food, fast foods, or red meat. Reduce snacks in between meals.

2. Have low-calorie food with high proteins.

3. Regular exercise, especially for the waist and hip area, aerobics, yoga, and brisk walking (swing your hands well). Try to reduce 4 to 8 lbs a month. Do not hurry on weight reduction, it will be difficult to maintain. As soon as you reduce at least 11 lbs, you will see changes.

Hope I have cleared your query.

Do write back if any more queries.

All the best.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Balakrishnan R
Dr. Balakrishnan R

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy