Q. Can taking I-pill after unprotected sex cause delay in period?

Dr. Sabita Laskar

I am 25 years old. I had unprotected sex with my fiance two months back. I took an I-pill because those were unsafe days. I got my periods but with very light bleeding. Again we had unprotected sex a month later thinking those are safe days. But to my horror I missed my dates. I took home pregnancy test which showed negative. Still my periods are due even after one month. I am suffering with severe headache, backache, and mood swings because of this. Am I pregnant? Should I consult a doctor or my period is irregularized because of the I-pill I took? Help me out please.

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I-pill may give rise to irregular cycle at times. Specially if it does not bring about withdrawal bleeding. Regarding you not getting your period till date I am a little concerned here. As you have mentioned you had little bleeding during the last cycle, then your ovulation might have been delayed as well leading to mess up of your safe and unsafe days. My advise is to wait for one week more and wait for your period to come. If not, then go for a urine pregnancy test again after one week. The symptoms you are having could be due to PMS. So wait for one more week and do as advised.

| 

Delayed period after abortion. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 23 years old. Two months back she had abortion. After abortion she is taking Folic acid and Ecosprin 75. Last month her period lasted for around 14 days and then doctor gave her Sandoz medication. This month her period date already has passed far off but still she is not hav...  Read Full »

Is unprotected sex on the fifth day of period safe?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex on the fifth day of my last periods and he pulled out on time. It has been 35 days and I have not got my periods. Is there any chance of getting pregnant?  Read Full »

What are the first signs of early-onset menopause?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 53 year old female. My periods have been delayed for two weeks. Till now they are normally regular. Could it be the early onset of menopause or they will eventually come?  Read Full »