Q. Could pregnancy be the only reason for periods delay?

Dr. Reetika Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2021

I am a 27-year-old female. I am worried about my first pregnancy. I am unable to identify the father of my child. I had my last period before 25 days. I had sex with A after 4 days of completing periods and after a week, I had sex with B for two days. My periods should come by today. I am worried.

#

A delay in period does not indicate pregnancy. Please mention whether you have done a pregnancy test.

I did a pregnancy test last week and it showed me a negative result. If I have it, how can I know who is the father? I am in a panic.

#

First of all, do a urine pregnancy test with the first urine of the day for having accurate results. Adhere to all guidelines written on the package of the pregnancy kit. Do not drink much fluid prior to your test. If you have a positive result, then it confirms that you are pregnant. Your first intercourse was before 21 days. You will not ovulate so early after the last day of your menstrual period. The second set of intercourse was done for two days after a week. You have a more likely chance to have ovulation at this time and pregnancy is possible in this case.

My breast remains sore and I have a bloated tummy. During my second intercourse, I did not go to wash immediately and till overnight. I am worried about the father of my baby. I want to be fair to B. What can be done to make sure of it? I will do a test in the morning and update you.

#

If you have a regular menstrual cycle of 28 to 30 days, then there is a negligible probability to have ovulation on the fourth day after periods and so you can rule out that you have not become pregnant due to intercourse done on the fourth day after periods. Try to do a urine pregnancy test soon to rule out pregnancy.

I did a pregnancy test and it showed me a negative result. Why my periods are late this month? It came at the exact date in the last three months. Before three months, it came at the exact date. Before two months, it came at the exact date. It came at the exact date at the last month also.

#

I understand your concern. Your period comes after 28 days every month. I suggest you wait for two to three days to get periods.

|