Q. Despite negative pregnancy test, I did not get my periods. What to do?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

I had unprotected sex with my husband after five days of my last periods and took an i-pill immediately. I did not get my periods yet and my two home pregnancy tests were negative. My periods are always regular prior to this. I am under regular medication of Eltroxin 100 mcg. Please help me.

#

• Since your pregnancy test came negative, you can be fairly sure that you are not pregnant.
  • I suggest you to wait for a week and still if you have no periods then let me know. We will start you on medicine to resume your periods.

Revert back after a week to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

One week got over and so far there are no signs of periods. You said you would put me on medicine if they did not start. Could we now proceed with the procedure?

#

• Yes, since you say you have no signs of getting periods, surely we can start medicines now. I suggest you tablet Deviry 10 mg (Medroxyprogesterone) twice a day after food for five days.
  • Once you stop the medicine, you should get your periods within five to seven days. Consult your doctor, discuss with him/her and take the medicine with consent.
  • You can feel bloated and slightly nauseous with the medicine. Do not worry, it is a side effect. However, if it becomes troublesome let me know. This should help you. Let me know how you respond.

As per your instructions I had Deviry 10 mg for five days. But, I still do not see any traces of period commencing. Though I have experienced all the symptoms I used to have earlier like bloating, back pain, etc., I did not get my period. I am really worried. Please help.

#

• Since you are having symptoms of a period, I think you can wait for another couple of days to see if they start on their own.
  • In case they do not start in another three days get an ultrasound scan of pelvis done to see for endometrial thickness.
  • Depending on that we may have to start you on estrogen. The emergency contraceptive pills can really alter the hormones.
  • Anyway wait for three days and no period get an ultrasound done and let me know the reports. Hope all goes well and you get your period soon. Do not worry, whatever the problem is, we will handle it. All the best.

Revert back in three days to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|