Q. Had I-pill after unprotected sex, but did not get periods on time. Why?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend and had an I-pill after 11 hours. I had to get my periods today, but still I have not. Usually, I have a 28 day cycle and today is my 30th day. What shall I do?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

After the I-pill intake periods generally start in the next 7 to 10 days. So, please be patient.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

My last periods was on the 16th and I had sex on the 28th of last month. It is disturbing me a lot.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Considering that your last menstrual period was 16th and the day you had sex that is on 28th you were in your fertile period. In fact, mid cycle peak. So, pregnancy chances would have been higher.

As you have taken an I-pill within 72 hours, ideally chances of pregnancy are less as I-pill rate of success is 99%. However, ideally the withdrawal bleed should generally occur in next 7-10 days.

But, now, as it has been more than two weeks since the last intercourse, I would suggest you to undertake a serum beta hCG test (human chorionic gonadotropin) in the laboratory. This is a blood test, which can give conclusive results with regards to pregnancy.

If the hCG levels are less than 5 ng/dL, then you are surely not pregnant and you can safely wait for a week or 10 days more to allow your menses to start naturally.

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I am worried. Do I need to go for this test immediately or shall I wait? Also, I am sure he did not ejaculate inside me.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The chances are there that you are not pregnant, but the only concern is that the withdrawal bleed has not occurred yet. So, for precautionary measures and to allay your anxiety, I am suggesting this test for you.

It does not need a prescription. Just go to the laboratory and get it done.

If you wish to wait, then you may wait for 8 days from now to perform a home based urine pregnancy test. If that is negative, then you can conclude that you are pregnancy safe.

My whole concern is that this should not be a case of I-pill failure. Hence, I would still suggest the serum beta hCG test.

| 

Does my wife's hCG levels indicate a healthy pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she has PCOD. We are trying to conceive for 2 years. We had done an IUI which failed. We did IVF, but it ended with a chemical pregnancy. Last month, our doctor did Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET). He transferred 2 embryos on that day. We got a positive result...  Read Full »

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »

Will I-pill tablet work if taken two hours after the act?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she had her period on the 14th of last month. On the 1st of this month, while having intercourse, unfortunately, the condom broke. She had taken I-pill within two hours. Can you please advise if the tablet will work or not?  Read Full »