Q. I had unprotected sex during my infertile days. Can I be pregnant?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
Published on Mar 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

I am 32 years old female. I had unprotected intercourse 14 days back with no ejaculation from his end. I took an I-pill the next day at 8 PM for precaution. Those were my infertile days as my last period occurred 36 days ago. It has been more than a month; still I have not got my periods. Could you suggest some ways to get back my periods? Thank you.

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Please wait for a week for your period to start. If it does not start by then, you will have to do urine pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy. Period could have been delayed due to stress. Another rare possibility is that of pregnancy.

Though you mentioned the days you had sex as your infertile days, sometimes occasionally ovulation could be delayed making the days fertile. Still you had taken emergency pill (though it is highly effective in preventing pregnancy, protection offered is not absolute). So, there can be little chance of pregnancy which you need to rule out first.

If you want to rule out pregnancy earlier, you can do blood beta-hCG test, negative result of which will rule out pregnancy. Other option as I told is to wait for a week. If pregnancy test comes negative and still period does not start, you can induce period by taking tablet Medroxyprogesterone acetate 10 mg twice daily for five days. Period generally starts within a week of last dose of tablet. It will not induce period if you are pregnant.

After I-pill, I had a flow but it was not heavy. What is the chance of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I need an urgent help. I was on my fifth day of my periods and I made out with my partner. I had my pants and my panty on and he had his penis out. He ejaculated on my pant, and I saw that some portion of my panty was wet as well. And I felt wet in the skin of the lower portion of abd...  Read Full »

Is it possible to have ovulation and period symptoms when on Depot?

Query: Hello doctor, My period started 12th of last month. I reviewed the Depo shot two days later. I had unprotected sex nine days later. He ejaculated in me several times. I thought I would be protected but I am also having symptoms of ovulation like high (hard) cervix with a sharp pain in my ovary, the...  Read Full »

Delayed period after abortion. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 23 years old. Two months back she had abortion. After abortion she is taking Folic acid and Ecosprin 75. Last month her period lasted for around 14 days and then doctor gave her Sandoz medication. This month her period date already has passed far off but still she is not hav...  Read Full »