Q. I have a delay in period for 2 months. Please suggest a medicine.

Dr. Reetika Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2021

I am 22-year-old. I am not having my periods for two months. I have got my beta-hCG test. Please suggest medicine. I am attaching my reports. Kindly help me.

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. I have gone through the beta-hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) report attached by you (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), and according to that, you should not be pregnant.

I request you to share the following additional information:

1) Are you sexually active?

2) Are you on any medications?

3) Is it the first time that the periods have got delayed or irregular?

4) Do you have a history of irregular periods?

I am asking these because delay in periods can be due to several reasons like:

1) Pregnancy, if you are sexually active, I request you to take a urine pregnancy test with the first urine of the day for an accurate result. Do not drink too much fluid prior to your test. Adhere to all guidelines written on the package of the pregnancy test kit. If that is negative again, we can go for medicines depending upon your health sensitivity and allergies.

2) PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease), if by any chance you have acne, thinning of hair and scalp, weight gain, or loss, we need to take a scan for ruling out PCOD, which also leads to irregular periods.

3) Obesity, your weight is fine, so do not worry about this.

4) Stress is a major reason for the delay in periods. 25% of females worldwide are suffering from the stress-related period delay.

5) Intense exercise, if you have recently started an intense exercise, that can also lead to a delay in period.

6) Breastfeeding mother, although you have not mentioned whether you are single or married, just to your knowledge, breastfeeding mothers also experience delay in periods.

So do not worry, the majority of the women experience irregular periods, but I can suggest medicines once you share few more details with me. So that I can help you better, please feel free to ask any questions or share any additional information.

|