Q. I have a delay in period for 2 months. Please suggest a medicine.

Answered by
Dr. Reetika Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am 22-year-old. I am not having my periods for two months. I have got my beta-hCG test. Please suggest medicine. I am attaching my reports. Kindly help me.



Welcome to

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. I have gone through the beta-hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) report attached by you (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), and according to that, you should not be pregnant.

I request you to share the following additional information:

1) Are you sexually active?

2) Are you on any medications?

3) Is it the first time that the periods have got delayed or irregular?

4) Do you have a history of irregular periods?

I am asking these because delay in periods can be due to several reasons like:

1) Pregnancy, if you are sexually active, I request you to take a urine pregnancy test with the first urine of the day for an accurate result. Do not drink too much fluid prior to your test. Adhere to all guidelines written on the package of the pregnancy test kit. If that is negative again, we can go for medicines depending upon your health sensitivity and allergies.

2) PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease), if by any chance you have acne, thinning of hair and scalp, weight gain, or loss, we need to take a scan for ruling out PCOD, which also leads to irregular periods.

3) Obesity, your weight is fine, so do not worry about this.

4) Stress is a major reason for the delay in periods. 25% of females worldwide are suffering from the stress-related period delay.

5) Intense exercise, if you have recently started an intense exercise, that can also lead to a delay in period.

6) Breastfeeding mother, although you have not mentioned whether you are single or married, just to your knowledge, breastfeeding mothers also experience delay in periods.

So do not worry, the majority of the women experience irregular periods, but I can suggest medicines once you share few more details with me. So that I can help you better, please feel free to ask any questions or share any additional information.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Childhood Obesity : An Ayurvedic Approach to its Management

.. and cultural environment play major roles in the increasing prevalence of childhood obesity worldwide. By following the guidelines on the basis of ayurvedic fundamentals, parents can effectively manage their child's obesity .. ...   Read full

I have PCOD from the last 10 years. Please suggest a permanent cure.

.. that PCOD is not diagnosed by ultrasound.Kindly get thyroid profile, serum androsterone test, serum prolactin, serum testosterone, free androgen index, serum insulin, and fasting blood sugar test done.Start doing six sets of Surya Namaskar every d...   Read full

Delayed period after abortion. Please help.

.. her to wait for a week for her period to start. If it does not start by then, she can repeat urine pregnancy test. If the test turns out to be negative, ask her to take tablet Medroxyprogesterone acetate 10 mg twice daily for five days. Period no...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Managing Diabetes During Festive Season
All the festivals are indirectly a danger sign for diabetic patients. Read this article to know more about how to handle...  Read more»
What You Should Eat and Drink for A Healthy Life!!
Food is essential for our survival, and what we eat definitely impacts our health. We can easily reduce the risk of many...  Read more»
What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?
This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common c...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.