Q. Had taken Meprate for delayed period. Still, is there any chance of pregnancy?

Dr. Sonal Prasad
This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2019

My girlfriend is a virgin and we were intimate on two consecutive days last month. During that time, her periods were delayed by two weeks. I was careful not to ejaculate anywhere near her vagina nor was it knowingly in contact with my penis.

She waited for another 10 days and since she did not get her periods. She had Meprate tablet twice a day for five days. Then, she got her periods after another five days.

The blood discharge was more in the first day and the bleeding diminished subsequently and it lasted only till the fourth day, though usually it lasts for five days. Her periods is due now for this month and still she does not have any menstrual symptoms.

Will she be pregnant? Please advise.

#

Ideally, Meprate - Medroxyprogesterone should be taken only after confirming the absence of pregnancy as Meprate has a tendency of causing incomplete abortion. So, it would be wise to get a serum beta hCG done (human chorionic gonadotropin). It is a blood test that detects minutest pregnancies. As per the timeline, if the value comes less than 5, then the test is negative.

Review with the value of the beta hCG report, so that I can suggest medication safe for her. When you review make sure you mention the following. The value of beta hCG, starting date of last periods (before intercourse), date of intercourse and intake of Meprate and if she has associated thyroid or prolactin disorder.

Revert back with the reports to a childbirth educator online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/childbirth-educator

I will attach the hCG report once she is tested. I attach the available reports hereby. I would like to know if the periods like bleeding, she experienced is actually implantation bleeding.

It started 22 days after the intercourse. I read that implantation bleeding happens 12 to 14 days after ovulation. Will the consumption of Meprate have delayed the bleeding?

#

I have gone through the reports and they appear to be normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Meprate must ideally be taken only if pregnancy is ruled out by hCG failing as Meprate can lead to delayed implantation, defective implantation and incomplete abortions. So, it is important to get hCG levels done. The thyroid and prolactin levels are normal. Therefore, the cause of amenorrhea if not pregnancy might be PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease) of the thinned out endometrium. It will be clear on a gynecological ultrasound.

The plan remains the same. Get hCG done and review with value, so that I can suggest medication safe to induce periods. Also, get remaining hormonal profile and ultrasound done on day 2 of periods.

|