Q. My period has been late by 13 days. What could be the reason?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

I am a 24 year old female. My period has been late by 13 days. I am sexually active. I took a home pregnancy test but that was negative.

My period has been fairly regular in the past with them happening 4 days prior or after my date. I have taken emergency morning after pill in the past (thrice in the last 4 months). 

What could be the reason? Is there a possibility that I could still be pregnant after a negative test, though I have not had any other symptoms of pregnancy nor am I having any sought of discomfort?

#

The striking point in your history is that you have taken morning after pill thrice in the last 4 months.

It has to be understood that the most common side effect of an emergency contraceptive pill is delaying the next 2-3 menstrual cycles.

As your pregnancy test is negative even after 13 days post period, it clearly indicates that you are not pregnant .

Hence, the delay in periods is likely to be due to ipill side effect.

Or another possible reason for the delay could be stress induced hormonal imbalance during this menstrual cycle.

Stress including emotional, psychological, physical or social disturbances, all have a bearing on the reproductive hormones and can easily delay your menses, once pregnancy is ruled out.

It is suggested that you can wait for another week to allow your menses to resume naturally , if not then you may opt for a withdrawal bleed with progesterone pills to resume your menses.

As pregnancy test is negative, you can rest assured and wait for another week safely.

For further queries, consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|