Q. My period has been late by 13 days. What could be the reason?

Published on Feb 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

I am a 24 year old female. My period has been late by 13 days. I am sexually active. I took a home pregnancy test but that was negative.

My period has been fairly regular in the past with them happening 4 days prior or after my date. I have taken emergency morning after pill in the past (thrice in the last 4 months). 

What could be the reason? Is there a possibility that I could still be pregnant after a negative test, though I have not had any other symptoms of pregnancy nor am I having any sought of discomfort?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The striking point in your history is that you have taken morning after pill thrice in the last 4 months.

It has to be understood that the most common side effect of an emergency contraceptive pill is delaying the next 2-3 menstrual cycles.

As your pregnancy test is negative even after 13 days post period, it clearly indicates that you are not pregnant .

Hence, the delay in periods is likely to be due to ipill side effect.

Or another possible reason for the delay could be stress induced hormonal imbalance during this menstrual cycle.

Stress including emotional, psychological, physical or social disturbances, all have a bearing on the reproductive hormones and can easily delay your menses, once pregnancy is ruled out.

It is suggested that you can wait for another week to allow your menses to resume naturally , if not then you may opt for a withdrawal bleed with progesterone pills to resume your menses.

As pregnancy test is negative, you can rest assured and wait for another week safely.

For further queries, consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

My wife has spotting.There are no signs of pregnancy.Can this be the side effect of ipill?

Query: Hello doctor, Me and my wife had sex on 12th January and she took ipill on 13th January. She had her periods on 21st January. We again had sex on 25th January and 10th February with protection (condoms). On the 10th evening some spotting started and it stopped on 17th February. The spotting was dark...  Read Full »

Will expired condom lead to pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I had protected sex with my girlfriend. Unfortunately, it was an expired condom. But, we had no problem with the condom. Now, my girlfriend has missed her periods. So, please give me your suggestion.  Read Full »

Faint T Lines Appearing On Urine Pregnancy Tests,While Ultrasounds Say I Am Not Pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been trying to conceive for a few months, but every time the test comes back negative. My last periods was on the 25th of last month, and I started ovulating on the third of this month, and it ended on the 12th. My husband and I had sex on the fifth. Despite my history of irregular...  Read Full »