Q. My period is delayed by 3 days after using Unwanted 72. What is the cause?

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 26, 2020

I used unwanted 72 five days after my last month periods and spotted five days after that. Now my month due date is the same, but I did not get my periods. I checked my pregnancy with Prega news, but the result is negative. Please tell me the cause of the delay and how much can it delay?

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

A change in menstrual cycle pattern is very common after taking Unwanted 72 up to two to three cycles. I assume you had taken the tablets within 72 hours of unprotected sex. The period might get delayed from the expected date. If it gets delayed by seven days, it is important to repeat one more urine pregnancy test. If the menses are delayed by more than seven to eight days, it is better to do a pelvic ultrasound (transvaginal).

Urinary pregnancy test if the cycle delayed by seven days. Transvaginal pelvic ultrasound if delayed by eight days.

| 

Yes, I took Unwanted 72 taken within 24 hours of unprotected sex. Now I am worried about my periods.

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Do not worry. It is very unlikely that you might be pregnant. As unwanted 72 is a hormone, delayed periods and menstrual cycle abnormalities are the known side effects. As I advised before, wait for few more days. And repeat urine pregnancy test if no periods after six to seven days. Pelvic transvaginal ultrasound if no periods after seven to eight days.

|