Q. My period is delayed by 38 days with PCOD. Kindly help.

Dr. Sangeeta Milap

I am 27 years old. I am missing my periods, and I am 38 days late. Three years back, I was diagnosed with mild PCOS and was under medication but not currently. Also, I have not consulted any doctor for PCOS for the last two years. I usually have heavy cramps while I am on my periods and had my previous periods before two months, which lasted for five days, and since then, I have not got my periods.

I went to see my partner last month and stayed with him for a week. I was sexually active during this week and have always used protection. I have no signs of periods since then, and I have also done some home-made pregnancy tests (with soap, toothpaste), and the results are negative. I cannot buy a pregnancy kit, and as I am at home and cannot let my parents know about the situation. But I am confused. Please suggest. Why am I not getting my periods?

#

Do a urine pregnancy test with a proper test kit. You might be pregnant though chances of this are less.

I noticed a tiny brown-colored clot today with urine. And 4-5 days before, while urinating I had a tiny light brown thin mesh. Why is it so? Also, I do not have any pregnancy symptoms as such.

#

You are not getting your periods most likely due to PCOD (polycystic ovary syndrome) which has not been cured. And we surely want to rule out pregnancy before going into cure your problem.

The blood clot and brown mesh you passed could be due to scant periods which sometimes happens in PCOD. It looks less likely due to pregnancy. But must get checked up to rule out pregnancy.

I would like you to get an ultrasonography of the uterus tubes and ovaries done. And though there are less chances of pregnancy still go through a complete check. If you do not have your periods and are negative for pregnancy on urine pregnancy test and USG. Then take tablet Meprate 10 mg twice daily for five days.

To answer your other questions, urine can change color from the typical yellow to brown due to a host of reasons. It can be something as trivial as a change in medication (antibacterial, antimalarial drugs, laxatives, etc.), or the foods you are eating such as beans, aloe, that need further examination. These may include bleeding in your urinary tract, severe dehydration, urinary tract infections, and liver disorders. I do not know enough about your background to comment on the above, so I am listing a few things you can do to rule these out:

1. Drink enough water to rule out dehydration.

2. Think of whether you have changed foods or medications in the recent past.

3. To rule our liver problems, do you notice yellowing of eyes/skin.

4. The most common reason is urinary tract infection. Blood tests, urine cultures, or ultrasound, would confirm that.

|