Q. Though I am on birth control and used condom, my period is late. Why?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 24, 2020

I had sex with a tampon in and did not realize that it was still in my body until a week later, when I found it. When I had sex, we used a condom but I did not started my period tyet. Do you think the tampon being in my body for so long could delay my period? I am currently on Lexapro, Vyvanse, and Errin.

#

Tampon will not cause any delay in the menstrual cycle or periods. Forgetting tampon for a long time may make you prone to genital infections though.

Delay in menstrual cycle is more of a hormonal function. Even though you used a condom the chances of pregnancy cannot be ruled out as the failure rates of condoms are comparatively high than other methods of birth control like pills, etc. So it would be better if you check your urine pregnancy test once. If negative, you can rest assured that pregnancy is ruled out as the cause for delay in periods.

Coming to the cause for irregularities or delay, hormonal disturbance like thyroid and prolactin hormonal disturbances, or sometimes a lifestyle related problem called PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) needs to be ruled out.

Quite evidently, you are definitely overweight for your height based on your body mass index, that is your BMI. Even the excess weight can cause hormonal imbalances leading to delayed periods. If your periods had already crossed two weeks above the expected date, it would be advisable to consult your gynecologist and take progesterone medications for withdrawal bleed once pregnancy is ruled out. Also, try to reduce your excess weight and focus on adapting a good lifestyle by doing regular exercises and a good diet. I hope this helps.

I am on birth control too, so I am not sure if I am even pregnant.

#

If you are pretty sure about the birth control method, then you can rest assured. But just checking the simple home pregnancy test gives more affirmative evidence and clears out one important cause for delayed cycles. Also, no birth control method is hundred percent effective. But do start working on your lifestyle factors as I advised and get evaluated in the meanwhile. That will benefit you for sure.

|