Q. What would be the reason for late periods?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 16, 2020

I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend. I ejaculated on her innerwear. She immediately removed it and washed her vagina with water. Later, after a minute or two, she put on the same. This happened on the third day of her menstrual cycle and now she is over two weeks late on her periods. Can she be pregnant?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

• Chance of getting pregnant is less as it was the third day of her menstrual cycle and it was not a penetrative sex.
  • Just go for a urine pregnancy test (by kit). If she is pregnant, then this test must be positive by this time as it is a sensitive test.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

We did three separate tests and the results of the urine pregnancy tests were negative. But, it is about ending of her fourth week and she still has not had her periods. What would be the reason?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

#

• When she had her last menses? Please mention the date. Is there any previous history of irregular menses or hirsutism?
  • Did you check urine pregnancy test by using kit at home?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

Her last menses was on the 10th of last month and it ended up in 16th. Yes, we used urine pregnancy test kit at home. Yes, her last periods were 12 days late and since last month she is having a very disruptive routine too.

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

#

• No need to worry. The chance of pregnancy is almost ruled out. Till this time, this test would have positive in any case of pregnancy.
  • Actually, she had her last menses 12 days late and the actual date is also late.
  • Suspected PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease) considering her age and irregular menses.
  • Please get ultrasound abdomen to see the ovaries and PCOD profile. It is a combo blood test. Both of these tests will help in the diagnosis and find out the cause of irregular menses.

Revert back with the reports to a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|