Q. Why are periods delayed after taking I-pill?

Dr. Nadim
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I and my fiancee had an intercourse a month back. Her periods had ended three days before that. Her menstrual cycles range from 26 to 30 days (usually 28). I did not use a condom and pulled out before the climax. She took an I-pill at the 46th hour after intercourse). She got bleeding (like the last day of the period) starting three days later and continued until the fifth day.

Her period was due 10 days back. She did two hCG tests using morning urine four days back (without drinking water or going to the toilet for 8.5 hours) and both the tests came negative (a deep band on control and nothing on the test).

She is having cloudy, white, stretchy vaginal discharges for the past one week and no sign of period till now (no cramps, etc.). She is having a bloated stomach, nausea, and headaches along with mood swings like irritability (she has a migraine and spondylolysis). What can be done? And is there any chance of pregnancy?

#

Since she took the I-pill within less than 72 hours, it is nice. She is safe. For the bleeding that came, it is because the I-pill can cause menses irregularities and may induce earlier menses. The bloating, nausea and mood swings may also be the side effects of the medication. For me, you are safe and to be sure 100 %, I recommend her a blood test for hCG.

| 

Delayed period after abortion. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 23 years old. Two months back she had abortion. After abortion she is taking Folic acid and Ecosprin 75. Last month her period lasted for around 14 days and then doctor gave her Sandoz medication. This month her period date already has passed far off but still she is not hav...  Read Full »

My beta hCG values are 5.73 and 5.26. Does it confirm pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 38 years old. I did not get my last month period. After 15 days of missed period, my beta hCG value is 5.73. What is the chance of pregnancy? Do I have any issue? Please guide me.  Read Full »

Is it risky to have sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»