Q. Why are periods delayed after taking I-pill?

Dr. Nadim
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I and my fiancee had an intercourse a month back. Her periods had ended three days before that. Her menstrual cycles range from 26 to 30 days (usually 28). I did not use a condom and pulled out before the climax. She took an I-pill at the 46th hour after intercourse). She got bleeding (like the last day of the period) starting three days later and continued until the fifth day.

Her period was due 10 days back. She did two hCG tests using morning urine four days back (without drinking water or going to the toilet for 8.5 hours) and both the tests came negative (a deep band on control and nothing on the test).

She is having cloudy, white, stretchy vaginal discharges for the past one week and no sign of period till now (no cramps, etc.). She is having a bloated stomach, nausea, and headaches along with mood swings like irritability (she has a migraine and spondylolysis). What can be done? And is there any chance of pregnancy?

Dr. Nadim

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Since she took the I-pill within less than 72 hours, it is nice. She is safe. For the bleeding that came, it is because the I-pill can cause menses irregularities and may induce earlier menses. The bloating, nausea and mood swings may also be the side effects of the medication. For me, you are safe and to be sure 100 %, I recommend her a blood test for hCG.

|