Q. Why did not I get my periods after delivery?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 22, 2020

11 weeks ago, I delivered my baby. I breastfed for only one day. But, my breasts continued to leak heavily for four weeks. I bled for three weeks and I still have not had my first period. I have taken a few pregnancy tests. All are negative, except one, which was a faint positive, which a minute later changed to negative. I took a test again and straight away became negative. I have PCOS and my periods do not get delay for more than a week. During my last pregnancy, I did not get positive pregnancy result until I was 2 months pregnant.

#

It seems that you have delivered two to three months before.

It is normal that you bleed in less amount up to one and half month. It is absolutely normal.

After delivery, you do not ovulate at least for three weeks and on average for three months. So, you do not have periods.

Sometimes, you may have an irregular period for more than three months and that is why urine pregnancy test is negative.

Your hormonal cycle can be irregular for some time after delivery because it was almost blocked for 9 months during pregnancy.

For further information contact an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|