Q. Why is my wife not having her periods though there is white discharge?

We had unprotected intercourse 13 days back. Her menses has been delayed for six days now. There is some white discharge from the vagina since 12 days and she is not having her periods still. We have checked for pregnancy yesterday through a strip test and it showed negative. Also, she is experiencing pain time to time in hip, stomach and vagina. Should Unwanted pill has be taken now? Or what else should be done? We are planning to go for urine test tomorrow in a laboratory too. We do not want to get pregnant now. Thank you.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology

• It is evident that she was on day 21 or day 23 of her cycle when you had unprotected intercourse.
  • As her menses have been regular consider that ovulation would have occurred by day 14. In that case ovulation would have dissoluted 13 days back and chances of pregnancy are pretty low.
  • But, this cannot be aid for certain as she may have had a delayed ovulation, one may not know.
  • So, the best way as of now would be to get a serum beta-hCG test (beta human chorionic gonadotropin) in the laboratory (blood test) which if shows hCG levels less than 5 ng/dL, then she is definitely not pregnant.
  • The increased mucus vaginal discharge with lower abdominal pain is a part of premenstrual syndrome indicating that her menses are soon due.
  • There is no role of Unwanted 72 pills now as you have already crossed 72 hours. So, at present just get a serum beta-hCG test done.
  • Rule out pregnancy as urine pregnancy test would give a false negative result until eight days post missed periods; hence beta-hCG levels are more specific at present.

Revert back after the tests to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Last time she got down was 35 days back and getting the blood test done is pretty tough. I feel it is irrelevant to ask, but is there any other substitute to check pregnancy?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology

• At present there is no other substitute for getting reliable results.
  • You may wait for another five days to get a urine pregnancy test done, else get the serum beta-hCG test done.

Is it possible to have ovulation and period symptoms when on Depot?

Query: Hello doctor, My period started 12th of last month. I reviewed the Depo shot two days later. I had unprotected sex nine days later. He ejaculated in me several times. I thought I would be protected but I am also having symptoms of ovulation like high (hard) cervix with a sharp pain in my ovary, the...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Depot injection does not offer immediate protection and it is advised to maintain abstinence for at least three weeks post-injection before the hormonal balance is readjusted for the cycle. Also, intermenstrual bleeding in form of dark brown blood is a common side ef...  Read Full

What does waterlike vaginal discharge indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, My aunt is 31 years old and had her uterus removed 11 years ago. From then she never had the periods nor any discharge. It was all alright until a month ago. She had suddenly started experiencing waterlike vaginal discharge which is little smelly, and it hurts in stomach sometimes. When s...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there were few more facts about your aunt regarding the indication for uterus removal, any follow-ups, diabetic status, her sexual life, etc., would have been helpful. At the age of 31 years, the most probable cause is an infection. I put forth the possibilities a...  Read Full

I had sex with my partner last month and missed periods. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I had sex with my partner last month. My expected period date was a week later. Still, I did not get my periods. I have tried testing pregnancy strips the result was negative. I consumed Regestrone tablets for the past four days. We do not want to have a baby beca...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the urine pregnancy test was done after eight days post missed menses was negative then you are not pregnant. However, to be double sure, you may opt for a serum beta hCG test, where if the hCG levels are less than 3 mIU, then you can be sure that you are not pre...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now