Q. Why is my wife not having her periods though there is white discharge?

Answered by
Dr. Sameer Kumar
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

Hello doctor,

We had unprotected intercourse 13 days back. Her menses has been delayed for six days now. There is some white discharge from the vagina since 12 days and she is not having her periods still. We have checked for pregnancy yesterday through a strip test and it showed negative. Also, she is experiencing pain time to time in hip, stomach and vagina. Should Unwanted pill has be taken now? Or what else should be done? We are planning to go for urine test tomorrow in a laboratory too. We do not want to get pregnant now. Thank you.



Welcome to

  • It is evident that she was on day 21 or day 23 of her cycle when you had unprotected intercourse.
  • As her menses have been regular consider that ovulation would have occurred by day 14. In that case ovulation would have dissoluted 13 days back and chances of pregnancy are pretty low.
  • But, this cannot be aid for certain as she may have had a delayed ovulation, one may not know.
  • So, the best way as of now would be to get a serum beta-hCG test (beta human chorionic gonadotropin) in the laboratory (blood test) which if shows hCG levels less than 5 ng/dL, then she is definitely not pregnant.
  • The increased mucus vaginal discharge with lower abdominal pain is a part of premenstrual syndrome indicating that her menses are soon due.
  • There is no role of Unwanted 72 pills now as you have already crossed 72 hours. So, at present just get a serum beta-hCG test done.
  • Rule out pregnancy as urine pregnancy test would give a false negative result until eight days post missed periods; hence beta-hCG levels are more specific at present.

Revert back after the tests to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Hello doctor,

Last time she got down was 35 days back and getting the blood test done is pretty tough. I feel it is irrelevant to ask, but is there any other substitute to check pregnancy?



Welcome back to

  • At present there is no other substitute for getting reliable results.
  • You may wait for another five days to get a urine pregnancy test done, else get the serum beta-hCG test done.

Revert back after the tests to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Fertility (or) Ovulation Period Calculator

Trying to conceive? Discover the most fertile days of your menstrual cycle using this calculator. Sexual intercourse during the fertility window in your menstrual cycle will increase the chances of getting pregnant quickly.   Read full

My beta hCG values are 5.73 and 5.26. Does it confirm pregnancy?

What is the chance of pregnancy ... So, you should wait for two days and repeat the test ... Hi doctor,I had done the test two times ...   Read full

Could delayed periods be a sign of early onset of menopause?

.. have been regular with your menses these years and this is the first episode at 53 years of age when the menses have been delayed by two weeks, the causes can be a possible initiation of perimenopausal stage where menses are often delayed for a mo...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Sexual Problems and Depression
Depression is one of the commonest psychiatric problems in the general population. About 10 % of men and more than doubl...  Read more»
Holiday Season During the Pandemic
Most of us wonder if there is a way to celebrate the holiday season during the COVID-19 pandemic safely. Here are some i...  Read more»
Skin Care Tips To Win Over Winter
This article discusses a few tips to manage and protect your skin during winter.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.