Q. How likely is IVF successful during menopause?

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

I am 46 years old. I no longer get my periods. What are my chances of conception? Doctors say I am at menopause. Can I have a successful IVF?

#

The best age for a lady to get pregnant is 19-35 years. The principle behind this is, every day your eggs are growing and out of the cohort of eggs, the best egg is selected, and remaining growing eggs go for atrophy. So by 35 years most of the good eggs are gone. After that age too, you have the chance of pregnancy, but lesser than the age of 35 years. After 40 years of age, the chance of pregnancy further reduce. As the age of lady increases the eggs left behind are not as healthy as the previous month. So even if you get pregnant, the baby is at risk of developing anomalies.

But if your period has stopped, then you need to know if there are any eggs in ovaries. You can have any of the birth control pills (packet of 21 pills) twice daily for 10 days. No matter what the cause is, you will have periods within 7-10 days. On day 3 or 4 of the period do serum FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) and AMH (anti-mullerian hormone).

FSH >7 Miu/ml and AMH < 1.1 ng/ ml means egg count is below normal. The only option for pregnancy is IVF using donor eggs. This can definitely be the best option to get pregnant.

|