Q. How likely is IVF successful during menopause?

I am 46 years old. I no longer get my periods. What are my chances of conception? Doctors say I am at menopause. Can I have a successful IVF?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

The best age for a lady to get pregnant is 19-35 years. The principle behind this is, every day your eggs are growing and out of the cohort of eggs, the best egg is selected, and remaining growing eggs go for atrophy. So by 35 years most of the good eggs are gone. After that age too, you have the chance of pregnancy, but lesser than the age of 35 years. After 40 years of age, the chance of pregnancy further reduce. As the age of lady increases the eggs left behind are not as healthy as the previous month. So even if you get pregnant, the baby is at risk of developing anomalies.

But if your period has stopped, then you need to know if there are any eggs in ovaries. You can have any of the birth control pills (packet of 21 pills) twice daily for 10 days. No matter what the cause is, you will have periods within 7-10 days. On day 3 or 4 of the period do serum FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) and AMH (anti-mullerian hormone).

FSH >7 Miu/ml and AMH < 1.1 ng/ ml means egg count is below normal. The only option for pregnancy is IVF using donor eggs. This can definitely be the best option to get pregnant.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Is propensity towards sexual adventures outside marriage due to male menopause?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57-year-old male. Happily married since the last 26 years to a very loving and caring lady. We have an equally loving daughter. We are a religious family, well settled, financially, socially and professionally, and by the grace of God, have no significant issues in life. My wif...  Read Full »

Karyotype of the abortus shows triplody. Will it affect baby's physical and mental health?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old and my wife is 36 years old. We are married for the last two years and trying for a baby for the last one year almost. By our gynecologist advise we underwent an IUI cycle which resulted in missed abortion at seven weeks due to no growth of fetus after five weeks. ...  Read Full »

I am nearing menopause and periods have become irregular. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 48 years old. I have been experiencing irregular periods, which I realize as normal as I am entering menopause age. Last month, I did not get my period. But, this month it has been a heavy and lengthy one for more than 17 days now. I felt the normal fatigue and today, I have been fe...  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now