Q. My 26-month-old child spelled two words until 18 months and no words after that. Kindly advice.

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 22, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

I am a mother of a 26-month-old boy. He usually developed until around 18 months then began falling behind. He had maybe two words by 18 months, and now he has none at all. We strongly suspect he has autism (many red flags present, MCHAT score of 13) and is working towards getting him a diagnosis and treatment but we live in a developing nation where professionals in this field are scarce, and waiting lists are long.

My question pertains to receptive language. Up to around 18 months, I felt sure he understood most of what was said to him. At present, I do not think he understands language at all. I have heard of autistic regression where children lose words, but do they lose receptive language too? Is this something you have seen?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiology Speech Therapist
#

Many times in autism, the language is not lost the sensory issues, and the attention deficits are so higher that the child fails to pay attention to speech. Language is based mainly on attention and imitation. In many autism cases, the need to express is hampered, and the chance to speak or we can see the need to show is decreased as parent or caretaker tend to provide everything to the child without a demand on his part to express his wants. For therapy purpose, I would suggest you to search if there are not many professionals in your city and start speech therapy. You can contact back if you have any questions.

Kindly tell me the symptoms of frontotemporal dementia.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has recently received a diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia. Here is a history of her: She had what we believed to be a nervous breakdown four years back. This was after a year of stress from a pending court case. After this breakdown, she displayed some psychotic symptoms....  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully your question and would explain that fronto-temporal diagnosis is a very challenging diagnosis, which is determined by the neuro-psychological tests and the progression of the disease. Sometimes, the radiological findings are not typical of this disorde...  Read Full

Why is my 3 year old speaking only very few words?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 3 years old. He is not speaking like other children of the same age. He is speaking very few words. What do I do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Kanwar Deep
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. He has probably not interacted verbally enough with family members and other children of his age. Presuming his hearing capacity is normal, the above mentioned might be the reason. Please interact with him more often in the form of talking to him and storytelling wh...  Read Full

Do all soft cleft palate surgeries require dental treatment as well?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 2 years old and was detected with a soft cleft palate. We had performed soft cleft palate surgery for her. I read a few articles and it recommended ortho surgery as for cleft palate. But, I am confused as it is mentioned only cleft palate. I wanted to know whether children...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Soft cleft palate means a submucus cleft of the soft palate. That means a midline defect of the muscles, which failed to completely join at the correct positions during development. But, the bony structure is sound. Many times speech problems are associated with the same....  Read Full

Ask a Speech Therapist Now