Q. Is it possible to live a healthy life with delusions?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
Published on Sep 06, 2018

I am a 32-year-old woman, autistic and I live with delusions. I am aware of my delusion disorder. I have taken evaluations for schizophrenia before, and the result came back with early schizophrenia. Is it possible to live a healthy life with delusions? I am aware of my delusion disorder which is only visible and audible to me. I am also grounded and level-headed even though I have this.

#

You may have early schizophrenia. If it is not affecting your healthy life, then it is fine. But it will progress with time. You need treatment to have control over your disease. I have seen many persons with delusional disorder doing functional and social life. If you do not have any hallucinations or any other psychotic symptoms, then it is more likely to be a delusional disorder. If you are taking any substance like alcohol or cannabis, it also causes the same symptoms.

Thank you for your response. The delusions help me to live my life, and I am keeping it stable. I feel that mental illness is a spectrum, like my autism.

#

You are welcome. Do you have any other question?

My psychiatric medicines are causing hormonal side effects. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I was taking Soltus 100 mg for delusion problem for a year. Now, I am absolutely fine. Before a month, the doctor has reduced my dosage to Soltus 75 mg. Now, I am facing hormonal problems like weight gain and amenorrhea. I am having my menstrual cycles once in two months (after taking so...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from delusion disorder and you are taking Tablet Soltus 75 mg for the problem. It can lead to raised prolactin level as side effects. So, either dosage reduction is needed or this drug should be replaced by another antipsychotic medication and psych...  Read Full

Is it true that schizophrenia runs in family?

Query: Hi doctor, My boyfriend's father has schizophrenia. What are the odds that my boyfriend or my future child would get the disorder? Is it risky to marry him? Please help. I am confused.  Read Full >>

Dr. Deep Dutta
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Schizophrenia is a complex psychiatric disorder and sometimes tend to run in families. However, it does not imply it is a monogenic disorder, where the inheritance rate of disease is higher and more easily predictable. Currently, there is no scientific evidence to...  Read Full

Am I suffering from schizophrenia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 25 years old. One night, when I tried to go off to sleep, I had racing thoughts that I had no control over. I did not hear any voices, just thoughts. I could not track them or process them. I was really scared as a result. This phenomenon has been happening whenever I try to go off t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query with keen interest and understand your concerns. First of all, I must assure you that there is no evidence of disease called schizophrenia in your case. Schizophrenia is often presented with different kind of prodromal symptoms and they do not match ...  Read Full