Q. Can your former braces cause resorption of tooth?

Dr. Bharat Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

I had a root canal treatment nine years back on my front tooth and then braces four years back for a year. I noted that there is some resorption of the apex of the root. I want an opinion from you on whether this requires any treatment or not. My dentist has not mentioned anything yet.

#

Thank you for writing in, and I understand your concern.

Yes, you are right. I presume there is resorption, or the RCT (root canal treatment) is overextended beyond the apical foramen region. It needs treatment because a periapical lesion is likely to occur and further form an abscess or cause a sinus opening. I request you to get a dental check-up and go for re-root canal treatment. Meanwhile, you rinse your mouth with warm saline water. Right now, there are no symptoms of pain or infection, but later they may develop. Hence, I request you to please go forward and get re-root canal treatment with fine obturation.

Thank you for your response.

The previous X-ray, which was done six years back, does not show an overextension. So, I believe it must be resorption caused by my braces. Although there is no pain or any other issues, it was more of an incidental finding after check-ups and X-rays. It is hard to know about this as my last X-ray was five to six years back.

#

Yes, your resorption can be seen clearly in the X-ray (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). It surely means that this is due to orthodontic tooth movement, which has caused selective resorption. Unfortunately, it has happened now. Hence, you do not have any pain, but I request that you get a root canal treatment done for that particular tooth as soon as you can to avoid further complications.

|