Q. Is it fine to have the wires fixed to brackets in the braces treatment?

Dr. Prerna Jain
Published on Dec 21, 2018

My dad is a dentist and he has recently put braces in my upper jaw. But my braces are of the kind I have never seen before. All the braces I have ever seen have movable wires that move as our teeth get straighter but the ones I have are having the wire fixed onto the brackets by material so the wire does not move.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

Wires are normally ligated or fixed to braces. With inherent potential and shape of wires the teeth move. The movements of teeth are normally at a slow pace that we may not be able to appreciate the changes taking place. You can compare the pictures previously and now to appreciate the changes. You can also send me pictures to understand your braces better.

The part of the tooth usually inside the gum, is visible out. Is it normal during orthodontic treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, My son has been having orthodontic treatment (upper and lower braces) for approximately 2.5 years. He is almost 16 years old now. For the last year, at least one of his bottom incisors has been lifting up and has caused a bump, and a part of the tooth that is usually below the gum line is...  Read Full »

Will other teeth shift if I get a tooth removed for braces?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a misalignment and mild crowding of teeth in upper jaw and have bite issues. I have consulted a maxillofacial surgeon and advised tooth removal prior to braces and removed upper left tooth, probably molar tooth, and advised to consult orthodontist for braces. I want to know whe...  Read Full »

My teeth have become overlapped after orthodontic treatment. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a complex case, as stated by my dentist. I had braces five years ago, but my teeth went back to their previous state, overlapped, like they were tightly fit into a small place, apparently because of the shape of my mouth. Also, I have fear from getting braces the second time, t...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthodontist Now