Q. My teeth moved in a straight manner very quickly after wearing braces. Is it normal?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 16, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2019

I have a braces-related question. I wore the traditional metal braces on my upper jaw as a teen, 10 years ago. I wore the retainer for five years every night, and then I reduced it to one night per month after that, as instructed. My front four teeth shifted a lot (they are crowded, so it was a quite visible shift, some were pushed out, and some pushed back).

The retainer could make a big difference in one night when I wore it, but I was advised to get a completely new brace. So a few days ago, I got a lingual brace on the front teeth (the social six). My concern now is the speed of shifting. A couple of hours after getting the braces, my teeth were significantly straighter (1 to 2 mm difference).

A day after they look almost perfect, I was told I would be wearing the braces for six months to a year. How is such a drastic change possible so quickly, and is it healthy or normal? It hurts always, but it is not unbearable. And could I have used a new retainer instead of getting new braces then? I hope you can help with my worries.

#

All the movement and everything depends on the bone density in your oral cavity so no issues if it is going faster, it is a good sign that it is showing you benefits so soon. And braces and retainers each have their course of works so you should not be regretting on putting braces, there might be some issues your dentist would have observed through X-ray that is why she or he felt the need for braces. If you have been told six months, does not mean six months always, if there will be good results, it might be reduced to four to five months even. So go ahead confidently, your dentist is doing right.

Invisible Aligners for a Perfect Smile

Article Overview: Custom made invisible aligners are orthodontic devices that are a transparent plastic form of dental braces used to adjust or move the teeth, which encourages even adults to have a "Perfect Smile." Read Article

Everyone's dream is to have a great smile, but they get stuck where to start from. Many people are experiencing success using clear orthodontic devices called "Aligners." Orthodontic braces encourage teeth to move using brackets connected with wires. Aligners are a series of custom-made tight fitt...  Read Article

I need a second opinion about my orthodontic treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently having Damon braces for almost a year. I have attached a picture. What do you think about my teeth position, especially, my canine? I think it looks weird. What should be done by my dentist to make it look right?  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Damon braces are a self-ligating system of dental braces and it implicates light forces over the teeth and lets the tooth movement occur in a short time and needs fewer adjustments. The image that you have sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity), does ...  Read Full

Ask an Orthodontist Now