Q. Will the glue used to stick the braces to my molars damage my teeth?

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal

I have braces and have had them for about a year. When I first got them on, they put glue on my molars to prevent me from biting my braces. The orthodontists said the bond would eventually disappear, but the glue is still present almost a year later. Is this normal, and will it damage my molars? Please help.

#

Yes, it is necessary to put glue on molars to avoid biting them, which is called raising the bite. Almost 50% of cases need that. It is done mainly in deep bite cases where upper teeth interfere with the lower braces and might cause breakage of lower braces due to constant hitting from upper teeth. Once the bite starts to open up by alignment and leveling of upper and lower teeth, doctors begin to trim it little by little appointment-wise if it does not start to go off, depending on which material is being used. If your bite has opened up sufficiently (which it should within a year of treatment), ask your doctor to start trimming the glue.

Regarding damage to molars, it may or may not. If good hygiene is maintained during treatment, there are fewer cavity-causing agents, and good dietary habits, there is less chance of cavity being formed beneath. So, there are always certain chances that your molar may get damaged due to it. Kindly ask your doctor to evaluate your bite and start trimming the glue if possible. I suggest you maintain good oral hygiene.

|