HomeAnswersDentistrydental cariesMy teeth X-ray shows three cavities. Should I be concerned?

What could be done for tooth cavities that are visible in the X-ray?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 18, 2024
Reviewed AtFebruary 22, 2024

Patient's Query

My orthodontist found three cavities on the X-ray, but my dentist says that I do not have any. Should I be concerned? I have had sensitive teeth always. I do not want to have a root canal or something like that. Is it soon enough if I have an appointment with another dentist in 14 days? Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Thomas

I appreciate you signing up on icliniq.com.

You now have exclusive access to expert medical opinion.

Yes, you can get an appointment with another dentist for consultation. Having an appointment within 14 days is not a problem. I suggest you continue brushing properly after meals. Please attach pictures of the X-ray to help me determine if there is indeed any cavity.

I hope this information will help you. Please revert in case of further queries.

Patient's Query

It should be teeth 46, 47, and 36. My dentist say she does not see anything, but when I confronted my orthodontist about that, he told me he asked two more dental experts who had the same opinion. Do you think these cavities are big? Will I need a root canal or something like that done? I have never had a cavity before and I am 25 years old. I visit a dentist once a year. This panoramic X-ray is two months old, so it could grow much more. This is the X-ray, which showed the cavity. Please guide.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Thomas

Hello

Glad to have you back!

I am here to help you get the best medical advice.

Did the orthodontist tell you there is a cavity after looking in the X-ray? In the X-ray (attachments removed to protect patient identity), there do not seem to be any large cavities, especially in teeth 46,47, or 36. There might be a small occlusal pit and fissures on the surface which can be determined by direct observation or clear pictures of the surface. Anyway, it can be surely said that you will not need a root canal treatment in any tooth as there is no big carious lesion in any tooth.

Patient's Query

This is an X-ray taken by the same orthodontist's assistant today. Does it reveal any carious lesion that requires serious attention? I do not have any pain, but a small sensitivity, of which I am not very sure. Please explain if it requires an RCT. Also please explain the procedure in detail.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Thomas

Once more, thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

We value the high level of confidence you have in us!

After seeing this X-ray (attachments removed to protect patient identity), I am sure that you do not need root canal treatment for any tooth. This X-ray is clearer, and there seems to be a small cavity in 46 and 47, but we have to see directly to confirm and, if present, which can be easily filled by simple GIC (glass ionomer restoration) or a composite restoration. Root canal treatment is not needed in any teeth. All other teeth look fine in the X-ray. Please attach a direct clear picture of the occlusal surface of those two teeth if possible.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Dentistry

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy