Q. Is it normal to get a panic attack while wearing wire retainers?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

I have to wear wire retainers and every time I put them in I have a panic attack and break into tears. I do not know what I should do.

#

Retainers are worn in two situations. Post-braces treatment or for minor teeth alignment correction. If you are wearing this after braces treatment, there are two other types of retainers which you can opt for.

1. Fixed wire retainers.

2. Essix retainers (clear plastic tray like a retainer).

The retainer which you have should have a passive fit after Ortho treatment. If they fit too tightly, that needs to be adjusted to bring it to a passive fit. Please get back to your orthodontist and get it adjusted. If you are uncomfortable with this retainer, you can always opt for a different type. But if you are wearing it for minor tooth alignment issues, it should be a little tight. Again, if uncomfortable, this needs certain adjustments.

And do note, the retainers need to be worn for the maximum duration (as instructed by your orthodontist) for it to become comfortable. Other times, it should be stored in a container with water to prevent it from shrinking. Accidentally, if the retainer is deformed or shrunken a little, this could cause such difficulty in wearing. However, this can be adjusted by your orthodontist.

|