Q. Should I use my old retainer or get a new one after three years of my orthodontic treatment?

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal

I have started wearing my retainers again after three years (my orthodontist had said that I could stop using them). Initially, it did not fit properly but now after about one week, it fits perfectly fine. Though I think my front two teeth have got a gap between them. I thought that I will go to my orthodontist and I will ask for a new retainer that I can wear every night, but now I am thinking that should I stop wearing the retainer that I have? Also, I am not sure but I noticed the teeth shifting in a bad way after I started wearing my retainers again. I thought maybe it would shift to how they were when braces came off, but now a gap is forming between the teeth, which I did not have earlier.

#

Retainers are of various types. Please share what kind of retainers are you having, Hawley's (single wire retainers) or Essix retainers (transparent retainers).

There was a bit of difficulty for you to put on retainers after three years as your teeth would have shifted a bit by then but as you continued wearing them, you got adjusted to it. However, even retainers undergo some amount of deformation over a period of time so, that may worsen the situation.

I would recommend you to visit the orthodontist for a fresh pair of retainers. Based on your current tooth position, retainers would be fabricated, eliminating the potential fear of side effects.

Also, as you are noticing some gap forming between the teeth, the orthodontist can provide you with an active retainer to close the gap. Once in two months, a follow-up would ensure gap closure as well as a routine check-up for you so, kindly visit the orthodontist for the same.

If you have any further questions, do reach out.

Kindly provide your valuable feedback once you are satisfied with the response and your queries are taken care of.

|