Q. Why am I having two bumps with red gums after gum cleaning?

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir

I was at the dentist yesterday and had a gum cleaning and now today there are 2 bumps in the back of my mouth on top and my gums right there also look red and there more looking like balls per say.

#

I have been through your query and I can understand your concern. The feeling of strange, weird and sometimes loose tooth are major complaints that a patient generally comes with, after having the cleaning (scaling and root planing) done. This is because of the removal of the debris. Earlier what would have become normal for the patient is now removed (debris) and the patient interprets it somewhat as loose tooth and strange feeling. The redness you are referring to is the erythmatous tissue that generally occurs post cleaning because the gums while cleaning gets separated from the tooth structure (like an injury).

However, the healing capacity of gums is very fast and it would be go in 3-4 days. Referring to the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the bumps you are saying, you do not need to worry about. As also you are saying that there is no pain means they are not infected. They might have occured due to the injury of hard palate during cleaning. I would suggest you to not worry as they are generally seen after cleaning is done. They would be gone after some days (generally 3-4 days). However, if the bumps persists beyond one week, I would advise you to have a visit to your nearest dentist for proper and overall examination. Moreover, I would suggest you to keep maintaining good oral hygiene by brushing twice daily and floss regularly. Also rinse your mouth with oral rinses for 4 days a week and 3 weeks a month. I hope I have satisfied you with my answer.

|