iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDentistrydentin exposureI have pain in my tooth after a crown placement. Why?

Is it possible to have pain due to a faulty crown?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 15, 2023
Reviewed AtJune 14, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I got a crown done for my tooth six months ago but it is still giving me trouble. I consulted a different dentist a few days ago and got my teeth cleaning procedure done. They examined the crown and took an X-ray. They found an open margin on one side of the crown. They also wrote a referral to the dentist who placed my crown stating, that the crown was faulty and I would need a new one. But the dentist who placed the crown in the first place is denying of any such problem with the crown but he has agreed to replace it. I have not attached the picture of the X-ray in this message. Can I mail it to you? I need a third opinion regarding my problem.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Thomas


Welcome to icliniq.com.

The pain is not caused by the crown in your case, the crown is fine and it does not need any replacement. The tooth on which the crown is placed requires endodontic treatment i.e. root canal treatment.

In some cases, when the crown is done without endodontic treatment, some pain persists as the nerves are inflamed when the tooth is trimmed down for placement of the crown. Just get your root canal treatment done by your dentist and everything will be fine.

Hope this helps.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dr. Naveen Thomas


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy