Q. Can high TSH level contribute to depression and psychiatric disorder?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 06, 2020

My sister is going through psychiatric treatment for depression. She had a miscarriage 10 years back and childless after that. Since the last six years, she is in depression and unable to mingle with society. Doctor asked for routine blood tests and her TSH level are above normal. She advised her to visit an endocrinologist. She is lacking energy in her day to day work and always complains of body aches like in waist area and in back. She is very silent and only responds to any query after knocking her two to three times. She cannot walk for more than 500 meters at a stretch and feels tired always. She also complains about constipation and less sleep.

She is 41 years old and her weight is 44 kg with a height of 161 cm. Blood pressure is normal 110 / 80 mmHg. I have uploaded her reports and her medications are tablet Arpizol 15 mg, Nexito 5 mg, Neuro D3 60K, and Optineuron. Please advise for her TSH levels and vitamin D levels (it is low). Iron and calcium levels are low as well.

I would request you to upload a prescription if possible so that I can buy the medicines from local shops or online.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and the detailed reports about your sister (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Well, the TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is not that high as to require a treatment currently. Usually, it so happens when the patient is already under some physical ailment and this is often temporary. I suggest no treatment for her subclinical hypothyroidism at this stage. Although, I would advise to repeat just her TSH, T3 and T4 after three months and then regularly at six months twice and then once yearly to rule out any future thyroid disorder.

Regarding her vitamin D levels, I saw the prescription which said it does contain 60,000 IU of vitamin D so no need for anything from that aspect from me as well. Although it is better to give her sun exposure regularly early in the morning daily for 30 minutes both for vitamin D deficiency and her depression as it helps for both conditions. Rest all her symptoms are due to her psychological disorder and not due to thyroid as of now.

Thyroid function test after three months.

| 

Postpartum Depression

Article Overview: Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depression. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Postpartum Depression Postpartum depression (PPD) or postnatal depression is a kind of depression that affects a new mother. 80 % of all new moms experience baby blues, but if the symptoms are severe and it starts affecting your ability to care for your baby, then it is a sign of postpartum depress...  Read Article

What to do for low Vitamin D levels?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday I took blood tests for hemogram, fasting sugar, and vitamin D. My vitamin D is too low. It is lower than 3. I have tiredness and joint pain too. Please suggest some medicines and diets.  Read Full »

Is there any alternate for medicine for hypothyroid condition?

Query: Hello doctor, Four months before I found that I have thyroid with high TSH 18. Then I put off some weight and did morning walk and running, then it decreases to 14. Now I left the exercise because I met with an accident. Now I have done my test again it was 18 again. Now I consulted the doctor but ...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now